You are here
2023-2024 READ Act Instructional Programming Review Process
The Colorado Reading to Ensure Academic Development Act (READ Act) focuses on early literacy development for all students kindergarten through third grade and especially for students at risk of not reaching grade level proficiency in reading by the end of third grade. Included in the READ Act is the requirement that the department create an advisory list of evidence-based or scientifically based instructional programming in reading, pursuant to C.R.S. 22-7-1209.
During each review cycle, new providers have the opportunity to be added to the advisory list. The review is a two part process for vendors to submit instructional programs: core, supplemental and intervention, to be reviewed for inclusion on the Colorado Department of Education READ Act Advisory List.
The CDE process for review of instructional programming materials for inclusion on the READ Act Advisory List of Instructional Programming follows these steps:
- Part I – Letter of Intent to Apply
- Part II – Program Review
- Programs must meet the Part I – Letter of Intent to Apply criteria to receive the Part II – Program Review application from CDE.
- Appeal Window
- Instructional Programming Advisory List posted on the CDE website
Note: To be included on the Instructional Programming Advisory List programs must be reviewed during this review window.
Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply
The Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply for inclusion on the provider list for instructional programming is closed.
Vendors interested in submitting instructional programs for the 2023-2024 Instructional Programming Review must submit a Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply by November 3, 2023, at 4:00 PM MT. Vendors who did not submit the Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply are not eligible to submit programs for a full review. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Note: If a Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) request for a program be received by CDE, the CDE Communications Team will reach out to the vendor about the specific CORA request and work with the vendor to ensure that no proprietary information is released. Additional details about CORA can be found at CDE’s Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) Policy.
A Technical Assistance Webinar was held Thursday, October 19, 2023, at 10:00 AM MT
- View webinar recording
- View webinar slides (PDF)
- 2023-2024 Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply submission document (DOCX)
- 2023-2024 Program Summary Form (DOCX)
The Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply was due Friday, November 3, 2023 at 4:00 PM MT
Spanish Instructional Programs
The criteria for Spanish instructional programs have changed. All Spanish instructional programs that are currently on the advisory list must submit to be reviewed.
- The department has created new rubrics for the review of Spanish core, supplemental and intervention instructional programs.
- All Spanish core, supplemental and intervention that were previously approved must submit to be reviewed during the 2023-2024 review cycle.
- Spanish programs that are currently on the READ Act Advisory List of Instructional Programming must be reviewed using the new Spanish application and rubric.
- The application is bilingual, written in English and Spanish, and rubrics are written in Spanish (an English translation can be provided).
- Spanish instructional programs that are not reviewed and approved during the 2023-2024 will be removed from the READ Act Advisory List of Instructional Programming.
Instructional Program Review Timeline
October 16, 2023: Vendor Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply Window Opens
November 3, 2023: Vendor Part I - Letter of Intent to Apply Window Closes
November 14, 2023: Vendor Part - II Program Review Application Window Opens
December 15, 2023: Vendor Part - II Program Review Application Window Closes
January 2 to February 6, 2024: CDE Review of Instructional Program Applications
February 7 to 21, 2024: Vendor Appeal Submission Window
February 22 to March 21, 2024: CDE Review of Appeal Submissions
March 22, 2024: Advisory List of Instructional Programs Posted to CDE Website
*Please note: If unforeseen circumstances arise, the review window may be adjusted.
For questions, please contact READAct@cde.state.co.us.