You are here
Colorado READ Act
The READ Act
The Colorado Reading to Ensure Academic Development Act (Colorado READ Act) was passed by the Colorado Legislature during the 2012 legislative session. The READ Act repeals the Colorado Basic Literacy Act (CBLA) as of July 1, 2013, keeping many of the elements of CBLA such as a focus on K-3 literacy, assessment, and individual plans for students reading below grade level.
The READ Act differs from CBLA by focusing on students identified as having a significant reading deficiency, delineating requirements for parent communication, and providing funding to support intervention. Other components of the Colorado READ Act include a competitive Early Literacy Grant and a resource bank of assessments, instructional programming, and professional development.
Additional SB19-199 READ Act Informational Webinar
Due to high volume of participation on the June 11 webinar, we exceeded our allowable user limit. To accommodate those who are interested in participating live, we are scheduling a second webinar with increased capacity to present the same content regarding changes to the READ Act brought forth in the 2019 legislative session. The webinar will also cover an overview of the new implementation measures.
Thursday, June 27, 2019
*Prior registration is not required.
READ Collection Deadline
The deadline for Reading to Ensure Academic Development (READ) file re-submissions due to the cross LEA validation process is Monday, July 1, 2019.
Please sign up for the READ Act communication list in order to stay informed of changes and updates related to SB19-199, READ Act Implementation Measures. CDE will announce ways to participate and provide your feedback throughout the implementation process.
CDE will also host monthly webinars to keep interested parties informed of the SB19-199 implementation process.
READ Act Statute and State Board Rules
House Bill 12-1238: The Colorado READ Act (PDF) - updated September 2018
The Colorado READ Act with the inclusion of SB 19-199 amendments - PENDING
- Senate Bill 19-199 (PDF): amendments to the READ Act May 2019
- House Bill 18-1393 (PDF): amendments to the READ Act May 2018
- House Bill 17-1160 (PDF) amendments to the READ Act May 2017
House Bill 12-1238 (PDF): The Colorado READ Act (original statute)
- 1 CCR 301-90: Rules for Administration of Early Literacy Grant Program (PDF) 11/30/18
- 1 CCR 301-92: Rules for Administration of the Colorado Reading to Ensure Academic Development Act - READ Act (PDF) 11/30/17
Frequently Accessed Resources
Information for Parents:
Legislative Report and Use of READ Act Funds:
- READ Act Annual Legislative Reports
- Use of Per Pupil Intervention Funds *Coming soon to reflect SB 19-199 amendments to READ Act
READ Plan Working Group:
The Colorado Literacy Framework:
- Learn more about the Colorado Literacy Framework.
- Elementary Teacher Literacy Standards (revised 2016)
- CAS Reading, Writing, and Communicating
- Minimum K-3 Literacy Skills Matrix
Early Literacy Grant:
Early Literacy Grant Website