You are here
Commissioner of Education
Katy Anthes, Ph.D.
Commissioner of Education:
Katy Anthes, Ph.D., email@example.com
Stacey Macklin, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Colorado Department of Education
201 East Colfax Ave., Room 500
Denver, CO 80203
Commissioner's Office Overview
The Commissioner's Office directs the Colorado Department of Education's (CDE) activities, completion towards statutorily required tasks, and attainment of CDE's goals. The Commissioner, along with her Executive Team, ensures that the strategic plan also guides CDE's work. The strategic plan receives input from CDE staff and is revised annually.
Commissioner's Office Responsibilities
- Advise the State Board, concerning the current operation and status of the public schools, and other education matters.
- Establish and maintain, a system of personnel administration, within the department.
- Ensure all policies, rules and regulations adopted by the State Board are duly executed.
- Visit local education agencies, schools, communities and key education partners at the local, state, national and global levels.
- Prepare and submit, to the State Board, a budget for the department and properly execute the approved budget in accordance with appropriations.
Commissioner's Executive Team
- Marcia Bohannon, Chief Information Officer
- Melissa Colsman, Associate Commissioner of Student Learning
- Rhonda Haniford, Associate Commissioner School Quality and Support
- Jennifer Okes, Chief Operating Officer
- Colleen O'Neil, Associate Commissioner of Educator Talent
- Alyssa Pearson, Deputy Commissioner
- Dana Smith, Chief Communications Officer
- Joyce Zurkowski, Chief Assessment Officer
Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet
The Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet is a group of practicing teachers from around the state that serve as a sounding board for the implementation of state education policy and will brainstorm solutions for challenges facing today's educators. The cabinet shares new solutions on issues such as raising achievement for all students, supporting low-performing schools and increasing the number of individuals joining the profession.
- March 25 - Gov. Stay at Home Order - Questions (PDF)
- March 20 - Follow-up from Call with the Governor (PDF)
- March 17 - Questions about COVID19 School Closures and other Guidance (PDF)
- March 13 - State Assessments and COVID-19 (PDF)
- March 10 - Gov. Polis Update on State's Response to COVID-19 (PDF)
- March 9 - Updates, Resources and a Request on COVID-19 (PDF)
- March 2 - COVID-19 Update (PDF)
- Feb. 26 - COVID-19 Information (PDF)
- Feb. 3 - Welcome to new Associate Commissioner of School Quality and Support (PDF)
- Jan. 21 - Teaching and Learning Conditions Colorado survey (PDF)