You are here
Commissioner of Education
Commissioner of Education Katy Anthes, Ph.D.
Commissioner's Office Overview
The Commissioner's Office directs the Colorado Department of Education's (CDE) activities, completion towards statutorily required tasks, and attainment of CDE's goals. The Commissioner, along with her Executive Team, ensures that the strategic plan also guides CDE's work. The strategic plan receives input from CDE staff and is revised annually.
Commissioner's Office Responsibilities
- Advise the State Board, concerning the current operation and status of the public schools, and other education matters.
- Establish and maintain, a system of personnel administration, within the department.
- Ensure all policies, rules and regulations adopted by the State Board are duly executed.
- Visit local education agencies, schools, communities and key education partners at the local, state, national and global levels.
- Prepare and submit, to the State Board, a budget for the department and properly execute the approved budget in accordance with appropriations.
Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet
The Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet is a group of practicing teachers from around the state that serve as a sounding board for the implementation of state education policy and will brainstorm solutions for challenges facing today's educators. The cabinet shares new solutions on issues such as raising achievement for all students, supporting low-performing schools and increasing the number of individuals joining the profession.
The deadline for submitting applications for the 2021 Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet has passed. Submitted applications will be reviewed by a diverse group of reviewers from the educational community and will be scored based on overall strength, as well as for coverage of geographic areas and variety of grade levels and content areas. The Commissioner will make final selection decisions.
Timeline and Review Process
- Friday, Aug. 13, 2021
- Applications Due
- Aug. 16 - Sept. 30, 2021
- Applications will be reviewed and interviews conducted (if needed)
- First week of October
- Applicants will be notified regarding the status of their application
- Nov. 2021
- First meeting of the Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet with new members
Commissioner's Executive Team
- Marcia Bohannon, Chief Information Officer
- Melissa Colsman, Associate Commissioner of Student Learning
- Rhonda Haniford, Associate Commissioner School Quality and Support
- Jennifer Okes, Chief Operating Officer
- Colleen O'Neil, Associate Commissioner of Educator Talent
- Alyssa Pearson, Deputy Commissioner
- Dana Smith, Chief Communications Officer
- Joyce Zurkowski, Chief Assessment Officer
- Aug. 12 - Assessment results released today (PDF)
- June 11 - End of year thank you and update (PDF)
- March 26 - CMAS Waiver Update (PDF)
- March 23 - Assessment Updates (PDF)
- March 19 - ESSER II Supplementals for districts/BOCES that received limited funding (PDF)
- Feb. 23 - CMAS State Assessment Update (PDF)
- Jan. 20 - Update from Commissioner (PDF)