The Educator Talent Licensing Office provides Colorado educators with certification, by evaluating applications and issuing licenses and authorizations to qualifying individuals. At present, the Licensing Office offers 31 various applications for educator authorizations, credentials or licensure.
Four primary license types – teachers, principals, administrators and special services providers – are issued with one or more of 60-plus endorsements, pending license type and applicant qualifications. In addition, 12 types of authorizations, including 34 different Career and Technical Education (CTE) credentials are also offered.
The Licensing Office is now part of the Educator Talent Unit. Learn more about Educator Talent.
Apply for Licenses and Authorizations
Learn How to Apply
Already Submitted an Application?
What license or authorization do I currently hold?
- Log in to eLicensing to find out what certifications you hold.
Licenses & Authorizations Glossary
Teachers Licensed Out-of-State/Country
CDE has received several questions on the impact of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) on teacher requirements. To help our educators understand requirements for teacher qualifications, CDE has provided the Teacher Qualifications Under ESSA FAQ.
All Communication Regarding Fingerprint Resubmission Is Complete
All educators who must resubmit fingerprints as part of CDE's recent records audit were notified as of May 19, 2017. If you have not received an email, you can check your background check status at any time by logging in to your eLicensing account and clicking on the "Alerts" tab. If your status shows "No Fingerprint/Background Results Received," please check the email address associated with your eLicensing account for communication from our office.
If you received communication about submitting fingerprints, your communication will fall into one of three categories:
- Reimbursement (June 23rd, 2017 Deadline has Passed): This communication includes 2 separate emails, first to notify the educator of the fingerprint and fee requirement, then a follow-up to provide information and instructions for the fee reimbursement process.
- Waiver (June 1st, 2017 Postmark Deadline has Passed): This email includes information to submit fingerprints to CBI without additional payment.
- Fingerprints Are Needed: This email was sent to educators who CBI confirms have no record of prior fingerprint submissions specifically for CDE and must submit fingerprints to CBI for CDE credentialing to meet the requirement.
Look here for the latest information/news about educator preparation and licensure.
- Learn more about the Teacher Oath Requirement (per Senate Bill 17-296)
- Input Needed! Please complete the survey and plan on attending our Teacher Shortage Town Halls.
- Helping educators teach English Language Learners
During its February meeting, the State Board of Education directed CDE to create new flexible professional development pathways for new and current teachers to better serve students with English language education needs. Learn more about the proposed increase in professional development for all teachers.