You are here
Colorado State Board of Education
NOTICE OF WRITTEN PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD FOR UPCOMING ACCOUNTABILITY HEARINGS AT THE NOVEMBER COLORADO STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING
The Colorado State Board of Education is seeking input from families, school staff and community members on the upcoming accountability hearings with the State Board of Education for Aurora Central High School AND HOPE Online Learning Academy Elementary. Members of the public may:
- comment on the implementation of the previously-ordered actions (how the school has changed since summer 2017) and
- provide input regarding further board-directed actions (what should be done moving forward).
In 2017, as part of the accountability clock process, the State Board of Education directed Aurora Public Schools to implement its 2016 Innovation Plan with the assistance of an external management partner (MassInsight) and directed HOPE Online Learning Academy to engage a management partner and reconstitute its governing board.
For additional background information on the accountability clock process, please see: CDE Accountability Clock Fact Sheet.
For information on the previous accountability hearings for these schools, including the plan submitted in 2017, please visit the State Board Accountability Actions webpage.
Comments may be submitted ANY of the following ways:
- By completing a short online survey; for AURORA CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL (click here), for HOPE ONLINE LEARNING ACADEMY ELEMENTARY (click here)
- By sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
- By submitting in writing to the State Board of Education Office: State Board Office, 201 E. Colfax, Room 500, Denver, CO 80203.
The deadline for all written comments is Monday, Nov. 11, 2019 at 12:00 p.m. (noon). Comments will be compiled by the State Board of Education office and sent to all State Board members. All submissions will become part of the official record for the hearings and posted publicly. Comments submitted in languages other than English will be translated into English as time permits. Comments received past the deadline will not be included in the record or forwarded to the State Board.
State Board of Education Members
Members of the Colorado State Board of Education are charged by the Colorado Constitution with the general supervision of the public schools. They have numerous powers and duties specified in state law. Individuals are elected on a partisan basis to serve six-year terms without pay.
Top row, left to right:
Bottom row, left to right:
- Katy Anthes, Ph.D.
Commissioner of Education
Secretary to the Board of Education
- Jane Goff (D)
7th Congressional District
- Angelika Schroeder (D)
2nd Congressional District
- Debora Scheffel (R)
4th Congressional District
- Steve Durham (R)
5th Congressional District
In 1948, the Colorado State Constitution was amended to authorize an elected State Board of Education to provide general supervision of public schools, with powers and duties described throughout Title 22 of the Colorado Revised Statutes. The first Colorado State Board of Education was elected in November, 1950 and began its work in January, 1951.
Today's State Board of Education is composed of seven elected officials representing Colorado's congressional districts. Board members serve without pay for six-year terms. Every other year, the State Board elects a chairman and vice-chairman from its own membership; the Commissioner of Education acts as a non-voting secretary to the Board.
- Guidelines for Public Comment
- 2019-20 Regulatory Agenda (PDF)
- 2018 Legislative Priorities
- 2018 Statutorily Required Reports
- Oct. 10 - State Board approves adjustments to elementary and middle school accountability frameworks for 2021
- Sept. 12 - State Board says APS must allow HOPE Online to continue operating Power Learning Academy
- Aug. 15 - State Board of Education considers adjustments to School Performance Frameworks
For past news, visit the Communications Division News Release web page.
Watch Live is only available during scheduled meeting dates and times.
October 2019 Meeting
Remaining 2019 Meeting Dates
- November 13-14
- December 11-12* (if needed)
2020 Meeting Dates
- January 8-9
- February 12-13
- March 11-12
- April 8-9
- May 13-14
- June 10-11 (off site)
- July 8-9* (if needed)
- August 12-13
- September 9-10
- October 7-8
- November 11-12
- December 9-10* (if needed)