You are here
K-3 Teacher Evidence-Based Reading Training Requirements
Jump to a section:
Colorado school districts are required to ensure all kindergarten through 3rd grade teachers complete evidence-based training in teaching reading by the 2021-22 school year, as a result of changes to the Colorado READ Act in SB 19-199 (PDF). in subsequent years, districts will need to ensure that teachers new to teaching K – 3rd grade also meet this requirement.
To meet this training requirement, State Board of Education rules require that the evidence-based training in teaching reading must:
- Consist of a minimum of 45 hours;
- Address the content of the educator preparation literacy standards referenced in the state board’s Rules for the Administration of Educator License Endorsements, 1 CCR 301-101, section 4.02(5) through 4.02(12) (effective May 30, 2019); and
- Include an end of course assessment that teachers can provide evidence of passing.
State law and State Board of Education rules allow the following options for teachers to meet the training requirement. CDE will provide information for teachers to submit documentation that one of these training options met the hour, content and assessment requirements. At this time, CDE anticipates that the documentation will be a part of a teachers’ license.
*** CDE is currently working on a system for teachers to submit documentation of meeting the training requirement.
We anticipate having more information about the process in the fall of 2020. As more information becomes available, this webpage will be updated. ***
Teachers need to only complete one of these options to meet the training requirement.
Teachers need to meet this training requirement only once. The rules for the Colorado READ Act define a kindergarten through 3rd grade teacher as a "professional responsible for the literacy instruction of the student(s) and may include the main instructor for a class, an instructional coach, reading interventionist, special education teacher, Title I teacher or other personnel who are identified as effective in the teaching of reading."
State law provides districts the ability to request a one-year extension from the CDE to comply with this requirement. Depending upon the length of the impact of COVID-19, the department may consider a blanket one-year extension for all school districts.
- Teachers who have a Colorado Reading Teacher or Reading Specialist endorsement meet the training requirement.
- Teachers may take and pass a reading content assessment authorized by the State Board to meet the training requirement.
- The Praxis Teaching Reading: Elementary 5205 exam with the passing score of 159 was approved by the state board in April 2020.
Option 3 - Appropriate Undergraduate or Graduate University Course in Teaching Reading
- Teachers may submit evidence of successfully completing an undergraduate or graduate course in teaching reading for the CDE to review to determine whether it meets the statutory requirements.
Option 4 - Appropriate Course for License Renewal
- Teachers may submit evidence of successfully completing a course in teaching reading appropriate for license renewal for the CDE to review to determine whether it meets the statutory requirements.
Option 5 - CDE-provided Training
- Teachers will have the option to successfully complete a CDE-provided training (online course or face-to-face) at no cost to the teacher. More information will be coming soon.
- Teachers can successfully complete a training program included on the CDE Advisory List of Professional Development that has been designed to meet this requirement.
- CDE will be providing no-cost training via an online course or in-person training organized in cooperation with districts and BOCES.
- Online Course: More information will be coming soon.
- Face-to-Face Training: More information will be coming soon.
District- or BOCES-Provided Training:
- Districts or BOCES may select a training program from the CDE Advisory List of Professional Development that has been approved to meet this requirement.
- Districts or BOCES may submit a training to the CDE for review and approval to meet this requirement.
- Application resources for Districts and BOCES to submit a training for review and approval.