You are here
Early Literacy Grant
Early Literacy Grant News
Future ELG Comprehensive Cohort Opportunity
The department is working to determine if a fifth Comprehensive ELG cohort is possible and if so, what the funding opportunity would be. Communication on any potential cohort will be released through the READ Act listserv and the Scoop.
The Comprehensive ELG 2020 – 2021 timeline can be found here.
Important Fall 2020 dates for Comprehensive ELG grantees:
- Submit annual financial report. This provides an account of funds not obligated by June 30th of the prior year and provides CDE with the actual unspent funds from fiscal year 2019-2020.
- Complete the beginning-of-year contact information collection form. (If you have contact updates throughout the year, please complete this brief form.)
- Submit up-to-date budget spreadsheet (in Excel format), including any approved budget changes.
- Submit programming transition plan (if your core, supplemental, and/or intervention programming is no longer in compliance with the 2020 Advisory List of Instructional Programming).
History and Purpose
In 2012, the Colorado READ Act established an Early Literacy Grant Program. This is a comprehensive grant program focused on system-wide early literacy efforts. In 2018, House Bill 18-1393, revised the READ Act to expand Early Literacy Grants to include two additional grant programs - Sustainability Grants for those completing a Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant and an Annual Literacy Professional Development Grant.
SB 19-199 amended the Colorado READ Act and incorporated changes to the Early Literacy Grant program requiring an update to the rules. The state board approved the amended rules for the administration of the Early Literacy Grant program during the September board meeting. Updates include increased funding, additional reporting requirements and training for K-3 teachers.
Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant Program
- Assists grantees in establishing instructional systems based on Scientifically Based Reading Research to improve the quality of reading instruction for all K – 3 students.
- Help schools implement a multi-tiered support system to reduce the number of students reading below grade level.
- Provides professional development to principals, teachers and intervention teachers on effective instructional practices and the underlying teaching infrastructures to improve reading achievement among K – 3 students.
- Assists grantees in administering and interpreting approved interim and diagnostic assessments pursuant to the READ Act.
- Supports implementation of school-wide literacy programs as well as programs designed for targeted and intensive instructional interventions.
- Assists grantees with testing schedules and interpreting assessment data.
Timeline: Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant Program
Cohort 1: 2013 - 2016
Cohort 2: 2016 - 2019
Cohort 3: 2017 - 2020
Cohort 4: Spring 2019 - 2022
Annual Literacy Professional Development Grant Program
Current ELG Schools
- mCLASS Acadience Reading (formerly known as DIBELS Next) Growth Tools for 2019-2020
- mCLASS Acadience Reading (formerly known as DIBELS Next) Growth Tools for 2018-2019
- Reading Coach
- ELG Budget Submission (for quarterly budget submissions, budget change requests, etc.)