You are here
Early Literacy Grant
Early Literacy Grant (ELG) News
2021 ELG Implementation Consultant Review
Consultants who submitted the ELG Implementation Consultant Letter of Intent by March 31, 2021 are eligible to apply to be considered for inclusion on the ELG Implementation Consultant Advisory List.
Application information and relevant forms will be posted on this page and emailed to those who completed the ELG Implementation Consultant Letter of Intent. Please email Laura Stelling with any questions.
Application window: April 15th - May 14th, 2021
Stakeholders are encouraged to view a draft copy of the request for applications here: ELG Implementation Consultant Advisory List Request for Applications
2021/2022 ELG - Professional Development Grant
House Bill 18-1393 amendments to the Colorado READ Act authorized the Early Literacy Grant Annual Professional Development (ELG PD) Program. This grant opportunity is geared to support Colorado educators in the implementation of scientifically- and evidence-based reading programming and strategies for kindergarten through third grade (K-3) students. These funds are specifically intended for early literacy professional development for elementary educators. This grant opportunity is designed to support Colorado educators in implementation of scientifically based reading research programs and strategies for K-3 students.
The application information and relevant forms will be posted on this page and announced via SCOOP. Please email Laura Stelling with any questions.
Application window: April 19th - May 17th, 2021
The Comprehensive ELG 2020 – 2021 timeline can be found here.
Important upcoming dates for current Comprehensive ELG grantees:
- Middle of year: With ELG consultant, evaluate data and review progress toward funding goals.
- April 15th: If applicable, submit remaining budget change requests for the rest of the fiscal year.
- April 30th: Submit up-to-date budget spreadsheet (in Excel format), including any approved budget changes.
- May 1st: Submit finalized budget for the following fiscal year. (This gives CDE time to review.)
- End of year: With ELG consultant, evaluate data and determine if funding goals were met
History and Purpose
In 2012, the Colorado READ Act established an Early Literacy Grant Program. This is a comprehensive grant program focused on system-wide early literacy efforts. In 2018, House Bill 18-1393, revised the READ Act to expand Early Literacy Grants to include two additional grant programs - Sustainability Grants for those completing a Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant and an Annual Literacy Professional Development Grant.
SB 19-199 amended the Colorado READ Act and incorporated changes to the Early Literacy Grant program requiring an update to the rules. The state board approved the amended rules for the administration of the Early Literacy Grant program during the September board meeting. Updates include increased funding, additional reporting requirements and training for K-3 teachers.
Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant Program
- Assists grantees in establishing instructional systems based on Scientifically Based Reading Research to improve the quality of reading instruction for all K – 3 students.
- Help schools implement a multi-tiered support system to reduce the number of students reading below grade level.
- Provides professional development to principals, teachers and intervention teachers on effective instructional practices and the underlying teaching infrastructures to improve reading achievement among K – 3 students.
- Assists grantees in administering and interpreting approved interim and diagnostic assessments pursuant to the READ Act.
- Supports implementation of school-wide literacy programs as well as programs designed for targeted and intensive instructional interventions.
- Assists grantees with testing schedules and interpreting assessment data.
Timeline: Comprehensive Early Literacy Grant Program
Cohort 1: 2013 - 2016
Cohort 2: 2016 - 2019
Cohort 3: 2017 - 2020
Cohort 4: Spring 2019 - 2022
Annual Literacy Professional Development Grant Program
Current ELG Schools
- mCLASS Acadience Reading (formerly known as DIBELS Next) Growth Tools for 2019-2020
- mCLASS Acadience Reading (formerly known as DIBELS Next) Growth Tools for 2018-2019
- Reading Coach
- ELG Budget Submission (for quarterly budget submissions, budget change requests, etc.)
- 2020-2021 Contact Information Collection (for grantees to complete at the beginning of the school year)
- Contact information change (for use throughout the year)
- Leadership Transition Plan (for Comprehensive ELG grantees)
- Programming Transition Plan (for Comprehensive ELG grantees)
- Literacy Evaluation Tool