CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 24 and Friday, Nov. 25 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
Curriculum Overview Samples - Dance
Initial Samples Released January 31, 2013
Hello dance educators,
I am proud to present the k-12 dance curriculum samples created by Colorado educators, practitioners and teachers. Working with our lead facilitator, Judi Hofmeister from Douglas County School District, this past fall, several dance educators came together to translate the Dance Colorado Academic Standards (CAS) into curriculum. As resources for districts’ voluntary-use, these curriculum samples offer possible options for sequencing the concepts, skills, and content of the CAS across a course or year.
The template upon which all of the samples are based derived from research and was designed and refined by Colorado educators to highlight what students should understand, know and be able to do at the end of a given unit or plan of study (detailed description of the curriculum template components). There are some unique aspects to the dance samples at particular grade levels, which are documented in the bullet points below.
Together, these samples are intended to support districts’ transition to the CAS and the development of standards-based instructional practices. Please click here to share your thoughts regarding the curriculum overview samples.
Questions?: Email Judi Hofmeister, Colorado Dance Content Specialist
To learn more about the Dance curriculum samples watch this presentation:
- The process graphic, on the course at a glance page, provides a visual depiction of the cyclical process-based nature of the dance standards.
- Due to the variance of dance program offerings state wide, unit length and sequence have often been left up to individual practitioners to adjust for varied scheduling needs.
- The overviews are highly versatile and can be customized to meet a wide variety of dance program needs.
- These templates are designed to meet a variety of programming options within the state.
- The represent units based upon the focus of fundamental or extended standards. Instructors can use templates from any of the sets to “mix and match” units between the fundamental and extended standards.
- Fundamental Pathway (Word or PDF)
- Extended Pathway (Word or PDF)
- Ballet - Fundamental (Word or PDF)
- Ballet - Extended (Word or PDF)
Kindergarten - 8th Grade Dance Samples
Unique components in kindergarten - 8th grade dance:
- 8th Grade (Word or PDF)
- 7th Grade (Word or PDF)
- 6th Grade (Word or PDF)
- 5th Grade (Word or PDF)
- 4th Grade (Word or PDF)
- 3rd Grade (Word or PDF)
- 2nd Grade (Word or PDF)
- 1st Grade (Word or PDF)
- Kindergarten (Word or PDF)
The Colorado Sample Curriculum was written by and for Colorado educators as a way to understand and translate the state standards into curriculum. Users of the samples should feel free to copy, distribute and transmit the samples and to adapt them to fit their needs. Please honor the work of the Colorado educators that created these samples by providing them attribution. These samples were not intended for commercial purposes.