You are here
The Office of Adult Education Initiatives was established to provide support and leadership to the field of adult basic education in Colorado. To that end, AEI administers three funding opportunities: the federally funded Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) grant, the state funded Adult Education Literacy Act (AELA) grant of 2014 and the state Workforce Diploma Pilot Program (WDPP) of 2019.
Each grant provides funding and support to local agencies serving adult learners across Colorado. CDE is committed to understanding the needs of our adult learners in Colorado, analyzing needs for services, and determining if there are ways to help fill those gaps as we work with our partner agencies and organizations. We are in a challenging budget and economic situation in the state, so it will be even more important to understand the needs of adult learners given the impacted economy and workforce. As a partner in this work, CDE is committed to working with the entire field of adult education providers to support adult learners. To that end, the office maintains a list of other potential adult education funding sources.
Adult Education and Family Literacy Act
The federally-funded Adult Education and Family Literacy Act was reauthorized as Title ll of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act in July 2014. The federal program provides formula funding to state agencies that distribute funds as grants to local adult education programs. Allowable services include adult basic and secondary education and English language acquisition in many contexts: foundational literacy, high school equivalency, family literacy, integrated English literacy and civics education, workforce preparation, workplace education, and integrated education and training.
CDE conducted an AEFLA grant application process from February - June 2020. The current AEFLA grant cycle is from July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2024. The following organizations are current AEFLA grantees:
Asian Pacific Development Center
Colorado Northwestern Community College
Community Educational Outreach
Durango Adult Education Center
Jeffco Schools Adult ESL and Literacy
Mesa County Adult Learning Center
Metropolitan State University Family Literacy Program
Montrose Adult Education Center
Northeastern Junior College
Pikes Peak Library District Adult Education
School District 11 Adult & Family Education
The Learning Source
Trinidad State Junior College Adult Education Services
Adult Education and Literacy Act
The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) Office of Adult Education Initiatives (AEI) is soliciting applications from eligible adult education providers that provide adult basic education, adult education leading to a high school equivalency credential, English as a second language instruction, or integrated basic education and skills training as part of a workforce development partnership or education attainment partnership. Approximately $850,000 is estimated to be available for the 2021-2022 fiscal year (July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022), with funding contingent on appropriations from the Colorado General Assembly. CDE anticipates awarding $50,000 - $100,000 each to 8 – 12 grantees for a four-year period, subject to annual renewal. Funding in subsequent years for grantees is contingent upon continued state appropriations and upon grantees meeting all grant, fiscal and reporting requirements. Grants are subject to annual renewal by the State Board.
Note: The application period for the Adult Education and Literacy Act closed May 4, 2021. This grant is on a four year cycle (July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2025), so the next AELA competition will likely open around January 2025.
- Release Date: Friday, March 5, 2021
- Technical Assistance Webinar: Friday, March 19, 2021 from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. MT
- Technical Assistance Webinar Recording posted to this website: Monday, March 22, 2021 (See links to PDF slides and audio recording in Resources below)
- Letter of Intent Due: Friday, March 26, 2021
- Applications must be submitted via Syncplicity, an online platform used for secure file sharing. The Letter of Intent will be used to provide contacts with access to Syncplicity.
- If you did not complete a Letter of Intent but are still interested in submitting an application, please complete this form prior to May 4, 2021.
- Application Due: Tuesday, May 4, 2021, by 11:59 p.m. MT
- Anticipated State Board of Education Vote: Wednesday, June 9 or Thursday, June 10, 2021
- Anticipated Notification of Award Status: Week of June 14, 2021
- Adult Education and Literacy Act Grant Request for Applications (PDF)
- Part IA: Cover Page: Applicant Information and Proposed Services (Updated 3-19-21) (Word)
- Part IB: Workforce Development Partnership Signature Page (Word)
- Part IC: Education Attainment Partnership Signature Page (Updated 3-19-21) (Word)
- Part ID: General Program Assurances Form (Word)
- Part IE: Financial Management Survey (Word)
- 21-22 AELA Locations List (Excel)
- 21-22 AELA Staff List (Excel)
- 21-22 AELA Outcomes & Progress Measures (Excel)
- 21-22 AELA Partner List (Excel)
- 21-22 AELA Budget (Updated 3-17-21) (Excel)
- 21-22 AELA Accessible Design Assurances (Word)
- 21-22 AELA Assessment Assurances (Updated 3-31-21) (Word)
- 21-22 AELA Attendance Assurances (Word)
- 21-22 AELA Local Data Assurances (Word)
- 21-22 AELA Distance Learning Application (Added 4-19-21) (Word)