Colorado School Social Workers Make a World of Difference!
School social workers (SSW) are one of the few resources in schools for addressing personal and social problems that potentially inhibit a student’s ability to learn. There are nearly 10,000 school social workers in the United States today, and approximately 400 in Colorado, who realize that students who are hungry, sick, or worried about their families cannot achieve as well in school as students who do not have these concerns. School social workers, like many Americans, are concerned about the growing social problems affecting our youth–including substance abuse, teen pregnancy, HIV infection, suicide, abuse and neglect, and family violence. As a critical link between the school, the family, and the community, school social workers help make these environments more beneficial to students.
School social workers provide a range of services including:
- Assessment and diagnosis of students for special education services;
- Individual and/or group counseling with students experiencing mental health or social difficulties;
- Setting up student assistance programs and providing supports for all students;
- Crisis intervention;
- Encouraging parent participation through phone contacts and home visits with parents who are overburdened;
- Navigation of systems and accessing resources for students and their families; and,
- Collaborating with teachers.
Colorado School Psychology and Social Worker Positions
Please note that this may not include all of the jobs open in Colorado. Visit individual district websites for a complete list of job opportunities. All applications should be submitted directly to the district in which you are applying.
Building Resiliency for Suicide and Substance Abuse Prevention
School Social Work Links
- Licensure for School Social Workers
For information about Colorado licensing requirements in the area of school social work, please refer to the information contained within Educator Licensing’s Endorsement Requirements page under “Special Service Provider Endorsements (area of school social work)”
Related CDE Links
- Colorado School Social Workers Association (CSSWA); Phone: 970-490-3224
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW); Phone: 303-753-8890
- School Social Work Association of America (SSWAA); Phone: 888-446-5291
- Colorado Bilingual School Mental Health Network
For more information, please contact: