You are here
Special Education Directors' Corner
Information directly related to SPED can be found under the "Additional Resources" section
2020-2021 Standard Record Review
Spring 2020 Directors' Meeting Cancelled
Based on Centers for Disease Control and CDE guidance regarding COVID-19, the Special Education Directors’ meeting scheduled for April 29-30, 2020 is cancelled.
Update your Special Education Director and Special Education Fiscal Contact Information.
Changes in reporting educational environments for 5-year-old kindergartners
- 5-year-old kindergartners must be reported with school-age educational environment categories starting in December Count 2020 (School Year 2020-21). Please see the memo below for details.
- Memo – 5-year-old Educational Environment (PDF)
Memo Notice of Change in Reporting Requirements and CDE Guidance for Measuring Indicator 13 Compliance (PDF)
New or Reorganization Application & Checklist
- New or Reorganization AU Application (Word Doc) - PDF Version Coming Soon
- Fact Sheet - Applications for or Reorganized Administrative Units (PDF)
- Instructions for Third Party Report (PDF)
Important Dates Coming Up
1 2018-19 High Cost Reimbursement Application window open through February 28th
3 2019-20 Federal Application Narrative Amendment #2 window open through February 21st
21 December Count Student and Staff Snapshot closes
21 2019-20 Federal Application narrative Amendment #2 is due
24 2019-20 Budget Revision #2 window open through March 6th
28 2018-19 High Cost Reimbursement Applications due to CDE (by upload to the Data Management System, Fiscal Tab)
6 2019-20 Budget Revision #2 Submission due
- Special Education Staff
- Colo. Special Education Directors
- Technical Assistance Documents
- Guidance Documents
- ESSU Responsibility List (2019)
- OSEP Memos/Dear Colleagues
This monthly e-newsletter is sent to administrators, educators and support staff and features training opportunities, news, and events.
Upcoming and Archived Trainings
(Special Education under "Topics" on the left)
Meetings and Conferences
Excellence and Equity Conference
Memos to AU and Special Education Directors
- Questions and Answers On Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), Evaluations, and Reevaluations (PDF)
- Letter to State Directors of Special Education (PDF)
- Non-Regulatory Guidance: Ensuring Educational Stability for Children in Foster Care U.S.
- 2019 Standard Record Review including Early Childhood and Transition Age Students (PDF) Please contact Cindy Petersen if an alternate version of this document is needed.
- Standard Record Review Instructions 2019 (PDF) Please contact Cindy Petersen if an alternate version of this document is needed.
- 2020-2021 Standard Record Review Including Early Childhood and Transition Age Students
- CDE's Strategic Goals, AU Continuous Improvement Plan, and Part B Indicators, June 2015 (PDF)
- Comprehensive Plan Documents:
- Example: How many IEPs to review in SY2017-18 (PDF)
- Uploading Documents for Review
New Special Education Director
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.