CDE will be closed on Monday, May 29 for the Memorial Day holiday.
You are here
School Psychology Services
School Psychologist - School Psychologist (ages 0-21) - 7.06 (PDF)
School psychologists are the mental health professionals who help children and youth overcome barriers to success in school, at home, and in life. They use many different strategies to address individual needs, as well as enhance systems that support students on school and district-wide levels.
School psychologists lower barriers to healthy learning and behavior through intervention, prevention, assessment, consultation, and advocacy. School psychologists work with parents, educators, and other mental health service providers to help each child develop resiliency, competence, and self esteem, resulting in improving the lives and learning of children and youth. (National Association of School Psychologists, 2004).
The School Psychology & Special Education Evaluation Specialist focuses their work on supporting school psychologists and school social workers in schools in Colorado. They can provide support in the areas of special education evaluation and eligibility, Response to Intervention/Multi-Tiered System of Supports, and mental health for students with disabilities. If you have questions regarding licensing, please contact the Colorado Department of Education Licensing Team directly (information below under "Resources"). If you have questions relating to private practice, please contact the Department of Regulatory Agencies (information below under "Resources").
Krista Klabo has concluded the School-Based Mental Health and Special Education office hours for the school year. During the 2023/2024 school year, Krista Klabo’s office hours will focus on best practices in special education assessment and interpretation. Please check back for more information.
School Psychology Internship Information
CO School Psychology Internship Timeline (Google Doc.)
School Psychology Internship Form (Google Form)
Available Internship Matrix (Google Sheet)
Colorado School Psychology Internship Guidance Document (Google Doc.)
Special Service Provider Intern Authorization
Colorado School Psychology and Social Worker Positions
- Unofficial List of Available School-Based Mental Health Practitioner Positions Matrix for the 2023-2024School Year (Google Sheet)
- Please note that this may not include all of the jobs open in Colorado. Visit individual district websites for a complete list of job opportunities. All applications should be submitted directly to the district in which you are applying.
Resources and Information
- Licensing Standards
- Special Service Provider Endorsements
- Department of Education Licensing Office
- Send an Email: CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us
- Call Us: 303-866-6628
- Please note, this position is not an expert in licensing and if you have specific questions, it is best to contact licensing office.
Department of Regulatory Agencies
- Department of Regulatory Agencies
- Phone: 303-894-7855 or 1-800-886-7675 (Toll Free outside the Denver metro area)
- Email: DORA_Customercare@state.co.us
- Please note, this position does not support school psychologists or social workers in private practice.
School Mental Health and Behavior Listserv
The School Mental Health and Behavior Listserv is a great way to receive information through periodic emails on statewide training(s), job opportunities, and mental health and/or behavior related events. If you would like to sign up for the listserv, please send your request to Holly Jackson, Program Support: Email Holly Jackson, email@example.com.
- Mental Health
- School Psychology Services
- School Social Work Services
- Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS)
- Colorado PBIS
- CDE - Professional Development
- Technical Assistance Documents
- Instructional Unit Samples - Comprehensive Health (includes Social and Emotional Wellness)
- Brain Injury in Children/Youth: A Manual for Educators 2013 (PDF)
- Technical Assistance (TA) for the Office of Special Education
Colorado Department of Education Related Offices
- Standards and Instruction
- School Nutrition Unit
- Office of Learning Supports
- Office of Special Education
- Accountability and Support
- Office of Health and Wellness
- Career and Technical Education
- Educator Effectiveness
- Field Services Division
- McKinney-Vento Homeless Education
- Child Find and Preschool Special Education
State and National Partners
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
- School Safety Resource Center
- Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing
- School Health Services, Colorado Access (Medicaid)
- Marijuana Use Prevention Resource Bank
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Resources
- Mental Health Resource Bank
- School Nursing and Health Resources
- Brain Injury Resources
- School Health Professional Resources
- Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network - A Child Trauma Toolkit for Educators (PDF)
- National PBIS
- The Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing” (Spanish and English) as open access
- Colorado Education Initiative's Colorado Framework for School Behavioral Health Services
- Colorado Society of School Psychologists
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Colorado School Social Work Association
- University Training Programs in Colorado:
- Colorado Bilingual School Mental Health Network
For more information, please contact:
Krista Klabo, Ed.S NCSP
School Psychology and Special Education Evaluation Specialist
Having trouble with this webpage?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact the Exceptional Student Services Unit at ESSU@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.
Connect With Us