You are here
Secondary Transition is the process of preparing students for adult life after they leave high school and can be thought of as a bridge between school programs and the opportunities of adult life, including higher education or training, employment, independent living and community participation. Transition planning provides opportunities for students with disabilities to experience positive post-school outcomes, such as:
- higher graduation rate
- lower dropout rates
- increased enrollment in colleges and universities
- higher rates of competitive employment
- increase levels of independence
2020-2021 Transition Record Review Resource
- Memo: Indicator 13 Transition Record Review Process – Overview and What’s New
- Indicator 13 Checklist for File Reviews and Data Submission
Post-School Outcome (PSO) Interviews - Data Collection 2020
By federal requirement, the PSO interviews must be completed and the information recorded in the data management system by 9:00 PM on September 30, 2020. Email Gail Lott with questions regarding this process.
- Strategies to Increase Student Participation in Post-School Outcomes Interviews (video)
- Post-School Outcome Data Collection Protocol 2020 (PDF)
- Protocolo de recolección de datos de los resultados postescolares de la Unidad administrativa de Colorado (Abril de 2020) (PDF)
Additional PSO resources available on the CDE Indicator 14 webpage.
Providing Secondary Transition Services During COVID
Our team has collected resources and tools specific to secondary transition that may be useful as you plan for students.
Regional Meetings for Secondary Transition Personnel - We Need to Hear from You!
- What is going on in your region?
- What topics are relevant to you?
- What challenges are you facing?
- How might your state transition team assist you?
Secondary Transition 101: Writing Meaningful IEPs
- Module 1 provides an introduction to secondary transition requirements.
State Toolkit for Examining Post-School Success (STEPSS)
Transition Talks Begin September 24th
The CDE Secondary Transition Specialist will host monthly Transition Talks covering a variety of topics related to effective secondary transition planning. Visit the Transition Talks webpage for more information.
Virtual Training: Writing Post-School Goals for Students with Significant Support Needs
For assistance writing post-school career/employment and education/training goals for students with significant support needs, complete the ZOOM registration to attend this live virtual training on Tuesday, September 1, 2020, from 2:00 - 3:30 PM. Email Gail Lott with questions.
Transition Leadership Institute (TLI) 2020
The Exceptional Student Services Secondary Transition Team would like to thank everyone who attended the 2020 Virtual Transition Leadership Institute June 10-12, 2020. What a privilege it was to host so many passionate secondary transition service providers! Information from this year's event may be accessed by visiting the TLI webpage. If you participated in the institute please take a few moments to share your feedback with us by filling out the evaluation using the button below. The deadline to complete the survey is Monday, August 31, 2020.
Email Roberta Curtis with any questions regarding the survey or your certificate.
Secondary Transition Training Opportunities
Please reference the Secondary Transition Support Trainings and Opportunities (PDF) to view the various professional development and technical assistance opportunities available upon request.
- Secondary Transition Support Trainings and Opportunities (PDF)
- Secondary Transition Training Request Form (Google Doc)
Please reference the Indicator 13 page for more information.
Please reference the Indicator 14 page for more information about Indicator 14.
Please reference the Secondary Transition Requirements webpage for more information about Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP).
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.