You are here
Parents/Families of a Child with a Disability
This webpage is for parents and those who work with parents. It is dedicated to providing information on special education issues, practices and resources to families who have children with disabilities.
Look for this icon throughout the Special Education website (specific webpages with /cdesped in the URL) to find information and resources for families
How to Search this Site
- You can use the Google Search box (which only searches within the CDE) at the top right side of the webpage and type in what you are looking for.
- You can use our Topic Index (Alpha Index) - alphabetical list for the Office of Special Education.
ChildFind and Preschool Special Education
Every school district or Board of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) has professionals trained to evaluate young children’s development. This service is referred to as Child Find. The purpose of the child find process is to determine whether a child has a need for early intervention or special education services.
Has your child been identified as having a Disability?
Fourteen disabilities have been identified under ECEA. The Disabilities webpage has links to each of the 14 identified disabilities (with more information about that disability) and the appropriate state office contacts.
Does your child have an IEP (Individualized Education Program)?
The IEP Link has both forms and resources
Does your child need related services?
The term "related services" means transportation, and such developmental, corrective, and other supportive services as may be required to assist a child with a disability to benefit from special education, and includes the early identification and assessment of disabling condition in children.
Find information on dispute resolution options available to parents and school districts regarding disputes during the Special Education process.
Parents Encouraging Parents (PEP)
Family centered conferences designed to offer support, information, and education to parents with children who have a disability, ages birth to 21 years, and professionals.
Looking for a Conference or Training?
- Calendar: PEAK Parent Center [Exiting CDE Website]
Browse this statewide online calendar of events for families and educators of children and youth with disabilities.
- Special Education Legal Conference - Provides special education legal trends / updates both nationally and those specific to Colorado.
Colorado Special Advisory Committees
- Colorado Special Education Advisory Committee (CSEAC) - A mandated state-level committee with members interested in the quality of education received by children/youth with disabilities.
- Colorado Inter-Agency Coordinating Council - (Exiting CDE Website)
A federally mandated, governor-appointed council to advise and assist implementation of Part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- State Advisory Council for Parent Involvement in Education (SACPIE) - A state council reviewing best practices recommending strategies for increased parent involvement in public education, for the purpose of improving education and raising students' academic achievement levels.
Our Partners Who Help Us Help You:
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.