You are here
Commissioner of Education
Commissioner of Education Katy Anthes, Ph.D.
Contact the Commissioner: email@example.com
Executive Assistant: Jenny Minich
Phone: 303-866-6646 (voicemail)
Colorado Department of Education
201 East Colfax Ave., Room 500
Denver, CO 80203
News and Announcements
On Tuesday, Dec. 20, Dr. Anthes announced that she will step down as Education Commissioner in July 2023. She has served in the role since May 2016 when she was appointed interim commissioner by the State Board of Education. She was named permanent commissioner by the board in December 2016. She held several executive positions at CDE prior to becoming commissioner.
Commissioner's Office Overview
The Commissioner's Office directs the Colorado Department of Education's (CDE) activities, completion towards statutorily required tasks, and attainment of CDE's goals. The Commissioner, along with her Executive Team, ensures that the strategic plan also guides CDE's work. The strategic plan receives input from CDE staff and is revised annually.
Commissioner's Office Responsibilities
- Advise the State Board, concerning the current operation and status of the public schools, and other education matters.
- Establish and maintain, a system of personnel administration, within the department.
- Ensure all policies, rules and regulations adopted by the State Board are duly executed.
- Visit local education agencies, schools, communities and key education partners at the local, state, national and global levels.
- Prepare and submit, to the State Board, a budget for the department and properly execute the approved budget in accordance with appropriations.
Commissioner's Executive Team
- Marcia Bohannon, Chief Information Officer
- Floyd Cobb, Associate Commissioner of Student Learning
- Rhonda Haniford, Associate Commissioner School Quality and Support
- Scott D. Jones, Chief of Staff
- Jennifer Okes, Chief School Operations Officer
- Colleen O'Neil,Associate Commissioner of Educator Talent
- Alyssa Pearson, Deputy Commissioner
- Dana Smith, Chief Communications Officer
- Joyce Zurkowski, Chief Assessment Officer
- Jenny Minich, Executive Assistant to the Commissioner
View executive team photos and biographies
Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet
The Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet is a group of practicing teachers from around the state that serve as a sounding board for the implementation of state education policy and will brainstorm solutions for challenges facing today's educators. The cabinet shares new solutions on issues such as raising achievement for all students, supporting low-performing schools and increasing the number of individuals joining the profession.
Learn more about the commissioner's teacher cabinet and its members.
Connect With Us