Katy Anthes, Ph.D.
Commissioner's Office Overview
The Commissioner's Office directs the Colorado Department of Education's (CDE) activities, completion towards statuorily required tasks, and attainment of CDE's goals. The Commissioner, along with her Executive Team, ensures that the strategic plan also guides CDE's work. The strategic plan receives input from CDE staff and is revised annually.
Commissioner's Office Responsibilities
- Advise the State Board, concerning the current operation and status of the public schools, and other education matters.
- Establish and maintain, a system of personnel administration, within the department.
- Ensure all policies, rules and regulations adopted by the State Board are duly executed.
- Visit local education agencies, schools, communities and key education partners at the local, state, national and global levels.
- Prepare and submit, to the State Board, a budget for the department and properly execute the approved budget in accordance with appropriations.
Commissioner's Executive Team
- Marcia Bohannon, Chief Information Officer
- Melissa Colsman, Associate Commissioner of Student Learning
- Alan Dillon, Associate Commissioner School Quality and Support
- Jennifer Okes, Chief Operating Officer
- Colleen O'Neil, Associate Commissioner of Educator Talent
- Alyssa Pearson, Deputy Commissioner
- Dana Smith, Chief Communications Officer
- Joyce Zurkowski, Chief Assessment Officer
Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet
The Commissioner's Teacher Cabinet is a group of practicing teachers from around the state that serve as a sounding board for the implementation of state education policy and will brainstorm solutions for challenges facing today's educators. The cabinet shares new solutions on issues such as raising achievement for all students, supporting low-performing schools and increasing the number of individuals joining the profession.
All communications are in PDF format.