You are here
Office of Special Education
Answers to frequently asked questions such as Compensatory Services, Prior Written Notice and Special Education Evaluations can be found in Special Education FAQ's.
To view OSEP issued Question and Answer documents click on OSEP Q & A's.
Supporting Displaced Special Education Students
There are many ways that children and families can be displaced. There are floods, fires, and other types of natural disasters that can destroy homes or make them uninhabitable for periods of time. Families can also experience hardships that result in major home life changes.
About the Office of Special Education
This office administers both the state's Exceptional Children's Educational Act (ECEA) and the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) for children with disabilities. This website is a resource for teachers, administrators, and parents of students with exceptional educational needs due to disability, or learners who are culturally and/or linguistically diverse or have some other special need. The Office of Special Education is one of three offices within the Exceptional Student Services Unit (along with the Office of Facility Schools and the Office of Gifted Education).
ESSU must have current contact information for all state level Special Education Directors and Special Education Fiscal Contacts. Our office communicates important updates and information through our listserv, please be sure that we have accurate, updated information. Communications from this listserv will come from CDE_SPED.
The ESSU e-newsletter is our offices primary form of communication with the field. It is published once a month and contains information from the Office of Gifted and Talented, Office of Facility Schools, and Office of Special Education.
- The ASD Guidelines (Guidelines for the Educational Evaluation of Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- Contains information that may be used to guide the process of identifying students with ASD and developing appropriate programming, supports and services.
- CSDB Report - Program Review for the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind
- Read the independent program review team's CSDB report - a report of the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind (PDF).
- Change in Reporting Requirements for Measuring Indicator 13 Compliance.
Ways to Search this Site
- You can use the Google Search box (only searches CDE) at the top right side of the webpage and type in what you are looking for.
- You can use our Topic Index - alphabetical list of topics for the Office of Special Education.
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.