You are here
Significant Support Needs (SSN)
Students with significant support needs are highly diverse learners with extensive needs in the areas of cognition and/or learning, communication, movement and social/emotional abilities. The individual may also have concurrent health, sensory, physical and/or behavioral disabilities.
Students with significant support needs require:
- a wide variety of approaches and supports to demonstrate their knowledge and skills
intensive instruction in literacy, numeracy and problem solving skills in order to acquire and generalize knowledge
- substantial adaptations (modifications and accommodations) and/or ongoing supports in order to access grade level curriculum
- access to assistive technology tools to communicate, learn and demonstrate their knowledge
- progress to be measured by observation, data collection, assessment, and work samples
- individualized levels of support across major life activities in home, school, and community.
- Current Trainings
- Archived Trainings
The Quality Indicators offer guidance to educators and administrators when developing, implementing and evaluating quality programs and services for students with the most significant needs.
- Archived SSN Trainings
- Connect Listserv
- Extended Evidence Outcomes (EEOs)
- SSN Teacher's Corner
Significant Support Needs Advisory Council
The SSN Advisory Council is comprised of teachers, administrators, and related service personnel, professors from Institutions of Higher Education and parents from throughout Colorado. This group advises the Colorado Department of Education on the statewide needs of this population and those who serve them. Their expertise is utilized for work groups to develop trainings and products to assist educational teams in meeting the needs of this very diverse population.
For more information about Significant Support Needs, contact:
Email Gina Herrera
Phone: (303) 866-6605
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.