You are here
Highly effective school environments prioritize the academic achievement and social skills of all students. The Office of Special Education has identified research-based strategies and practices that support positive behavioral outcomes for all students. Implementation of effective strategies and best practices within a variety of host settings, improves school climate and student outcomes. This site provides multiple links to rules, guidelines, assessment tools, and research-based strategies to promote social competence and support positive behavioral interventions.
Positive Discipline or Positive Behavioral Supports
This webinar will present an overview of using positive discipline in the school setting. This learning opportunity will focus on how to reclaim "discipline" as preventative, positive, and instructional. This will include methods for teams to address positive discipline within a systems framework.
8 Week Online Course: Introduction to Functional Behavioral Assessment and Behavior Intervention Plans
This 8 week online course, offered in both fall and spring semesters, is intended for school and district-level teams. The purpose of the course is to support the team in developing a functional behavioral Assessment (FBA) that accurately identifies a student’s function of behavior in order to develop more effective Behavior Intervention Plans. Team-based approaches to complete such activities are always best practice and in the best interest of the student, school, and family. By the end of the course, participating teams will be able to successfully complete Basic Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP). The course provides a foundation for understanding FBAs and provides opportunity for practice in the completion of FBAs and BIPs. Support from instructors will be given in the form of discussion board with no face-to-face opportunities provided.
Date(s): March 1st, 2020 through May 4th, 2020 (8 weeks not including week of Spring Break) (Fall 2020 Dates TBD, please check back!)
** REGISTRATION Opens on January 30th, 2020 and CLOSES on February 7th, 2020 or when registration is full.
- Flyer for 8 week online course - Introduction to Functional Behavioral Assessment and Behavior Intervention Plans (PDF)
- PBIS: Supporting Students During the Pandemic
- PBIS: 5 Essentials for Families
- Ten Positive Behavior Support Strategies to Support Families at Home (Word Doc.) This Positive Behavior TIPS for Parents at home was created by Kiki McGough. Kiki is on the Board of Directors for the Peak Parent Center and serves as a FSCP Rep for Association of Positive Behavior Support (APBS).
- School Mental Health and Behavior Listserv
- The School Mental Health and Behavior Listserv is a great way to receive information through periodic emails on statewide training(s), job opportunities, and mental health and/or behavior related events.
- CDE Behavior Tools Wiki
- Technical Assistance: Functional Behavioral Assistance (FBA) and Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP)
- Behavior Intervention Plan, English (Word)
- Behavior Intervention Plan, Spanish (Word)
Website Link: http://coloradocrisisservices.org
CRISIS LINE: 1-844-493-TALK (8255) is a 24/7/365 support line for anyone affected by a mental health, substance use or emotional crisis. All calls are connected to a mental health professional, who will provide immediate support and connections to further resources. WALK-IN CRISIS SERVICES/ STABILIZATION UNITS: Our walk-in crisis services are open 24/7, and offer confidential, in-person crisis support, information and referrals to anyone in need. If you need in-person assistance, or are helping others with a crisis, you can always visit a walk-in crisis services location near you. Some locations provide crisis beds for 1-5 days, for either voluntary or involuntary treatment. View the map to find the locations nearest you.
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (303) 866-6712
Email Bill Brown
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.