You are here
Providing Secondary Transition Services During COVID
Our team has collected resources and tools specific to secondary transition that may be useful as you plan for students.
Secondary Transition is the process of preparing students for adult life after they leave high school and can be thought of as a bridge between school programs and the opportunities of adult life, including higher education or training, employment, independent living and community participation. Transition planning provides opportunities for students with disabilities to experience positive post-school outcomes, such as:
- higher graduation rate
- lower dropout rates
- increased enrollment in colleges and universities
- higher rates of competitive employment
- increase levels of independence
Upcoming Webinar: Assistive Technology for Employment: An Introduction to Technology Options to Support Transitioning Youth
On, October 14 from 11:30 - 12:30 presenter Jim Sandstrum will provide an overview and introduction to Assistive Technologies which have the potential to improve employment outcomes for youth with disabilities as they enter the workforce. Demonstration and examples will be shared to include options in support of cognitive function, vision, hearing, mobility and mental health.
Recorded Training: Writing Post-School Goals for Students with Significant Support Needs
Writing employment and training post-school goals for students with significant/complex needs is very challenging. This training offers guidance and examples to consider when writing post-school goals for students with significant/complex support needs.
Participants will learn:
- how to develop PSGs for students with significant/complex support needs.
- to consider what a meaningful day means when developing PSGs.
- to consider natural and community supports to meet students’ needs.
2020-2021 Transition Record Review Resource
- Indicator 13 Checklist for File Reviews and Data Submission (PDF)
- Memo: Indicator 13 Transition Record Review Process – Overview and What’s New (PDF)
- Webinar: Standard Record Review and Transition Age IEP (2020-2021)
- SRR and Transition-Age IEP Record Review Training Slides (PDF)
Regional Meetings for Secondary Transition Personnel - We Need to Hear from You!
- What is going on in your region?
- What topics are relevant to you?
- What challenges are you facing?
- How might your state transition team assist you?
Secondary Transition 101: Writing Meaningful IEPs
- Module 1 provides an introduction to secondary transition requirements.
State Toolkit for Examining Post-School Success (STEPSS)
Transition Talks Begin September 24th
The CDE Secondary Transition Specialist will host monthly Transition Talks covering a variety of topics related to effective secondary transition planning. Visit the Transition Talks webpage for more information.
Transition Leadership Institute (TLI) 2020
The Exceptional Student Services Secondary Transition Team would like to thank everyone who attended the 2020 Virtual Transition Leadership Institute June 10-12, 2020. What a privilege it was to host so many passionate secondary transition service providers! Information from this year's event may be accessed by visiting the TLI webpage.
Secondary Transition Training Opportunities
Please reference the Secondary Transition Support Trainings and Opportunities (PDF) to view the various professional development and technical assistance opportunities available upon request.
- Secondary Transition Support Trainings and Opportunities (PDF)
- Secondary Transition Training Request Form (Google Doc)
Find what you were looking for?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact our web content coordinator Amanda Timmerman at Timmerman_A@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.