You are here
District and Authorizer Information
District & Authorizer Information
- Charter School Institute (CSI) - Authorized to accept applications for schools (1) in districts without exclusive chartering authority (ECA) and (2) in districts which have retained ECA, with permission to the applicant from the district's board of education. Click on the link to be directed to the CSI Web site.
- Exclusive Chartering Authority (ECA) - includes a list of Colorado districts with/without ECA.
- Waivers - Information about how charter schools apply for state waivers, rules and laws that pertain to waiver requests, and a current list of waivers requested by each charter school.
- Colorado Association of Charter School Authorizers (CACSA) - CACSA was formed by and serves the professional staff in Colorado authorizers who work on all tasks associated with charter school oversight. These education leaders created CACSA to support all of Colorado’s authorizers, with the goals of improving charter school authoring practices, the quality of charter schools, and the education for all students in the state.
March Authorizer Summit
The March Authorizer Summit was recorded on March 5th. During this summit, the Schools of Choice Unit shared COVID-19 planning updates and updates on the CCSP grant. Renee Martinez, Principal Consultant of the Office of Online and Blended Learning, presented Remote Learning vs. Online Learning Beyond COVID-19. Colorado Association of Charter School Authorizers (CACSA) presented updates and hosted a discussion on Community-Centered Charter Schooling facilitated by Dr. Karega Rausch, President, and CEO of National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA).
- Remote Learning vs. Online Learning Beyond COVID-19
- Community Centered Charter Schooling- A Discussion with Dr. Karega Rausch
Authorizer Dissemination In Conjunction with Charter School Institute
As a part of the dissemination activities included in the Federal Charter Schools Program Grant that the Schools of Choice Unit received in 2018, the Schools of Choice unit and Charter School Institute have partnered together to release a series of case studies to support charter schools across the state enhance their practices in the following areas: annual reporting, charter renewals, and charter accountability, particularly charter accountability during COVID-19.
- Annual Reporting Pre-recorded Webinar and Supporting Documents
Charter Renewals Pre-recorded Webinar and Supporting Documents
Charter Accountability during COVID-19 Pre-recorded Webinar and Supporting Documents
Charter School Appeal Dispositions
District & Authorizer Resources
The Schools of Choice Team has been working diligently in conjunction with the Colorado League of Charter Schools, the Colorado Charter School Institute, and the Colorado Association of Charter School Authorizers – incorporating feedback both from charter schools and charter school authorizers - to update the free, on-demand, governing board training that CDE has provided for many years. From this collaboration, we are now happy to announce Governance Board Training Resources accessible to all charter school practitioners .
To access this trainings please click here
Equal Access Series Authorizer Session: Authorizers’ Role in Continuous Improvement (Recorded on 4/17/2021)
2018 Colorado New Standard Application and Evaluation Standards
- Standard Application & Evaluation Standards 2018 (docx)
- Standard Application & Evaluation Standards 2018 (pdf)
- Standard Application Rubric 2018 (docx)
2011 Standard Application [docx]
Charter Contracts, Renewals & Closures
Colorado Charter School: Sample Contract Language and Attachments
Colorado Charter School: A Resource for Developing Charter School Contracts
Developed to provide useful information to assist districts and approved charter school applicants in writing effective charter school contracts. Because the charter contract is the foundational agreement that establishes a charter school’s autonomy and accountability and the district’s rights and obligations, it is essential that the contract meet legal requirements and adhere to best practices. This resource guide is a companion to the “Colorado Charter School Sample Contract Language and Attachments,” and complements the “Charter School Standard Application, Checklist and Review Rubric.”
Colorado Charter School: Sample Renewal Framework
A Colorado-specific guide to charter school renewal. Considering renewal of a charter school contract is a process that an authorizer and a charter school undertake every three to five years, unless a longer contract has been signed to address facility financing issues. This resource provides guidance, within the framework of Colorado laws, for authorizers to establish a renewal process.
Colorado Charter School: Sample Closure Framework
A Colorado-specific guide to charter school closure. Closing a charter school can present many challenges, given the data that must be compiled and analyzed, public meetings that must be held, and the political considerations that must be addressed before a charter school chooses to voluntarily close or before the authorizer votes to not renew or to revoke the charter school contract. This checklist of tasks in a template format was developed to assist authorizers and charter schools with the closure process.
NOTE: None of the documents represented on this page, or referenced under the provided links, are meant to represent legal advice or to lessen the need for charter school developers or operators to seek legal counsel.