Download the age waiver application below and follow the directions on the form to submit to the Colorado HSE Testing Office for approval:
Sixteen (16) year olds are able to take a State Board approved High School Equivalency (HSE) examination if they are approved by the Colorado HSE Testing Office for a HSE Age Waiver. All of the requirements for applying for the HSE Age Waiver are on the Age Waiver Application and listed below. If none of the conditions in the age waiver apply, the tester cannot be approved and must wait to test until the age of 17. Individuals under the age of 16 may not apply for an HSE Age Waiver.
**As of August 1st, 2014 there is no fee required to process age waivers**
Conditions for Approval of Age Waiver
One of the following conditions must be met in order to be approved for an age waiver. Please note that these are the only conditions under which an age waiver can be approved. If none of the conditions apply, the tester cannot be approved and must wait to test until the age of 17. An original, typed letter on official letterhead, signed from the institution requiring the credential, and addressed to the applicant supporting one of the conditions must also be provided along with the completed age waiver form.
- Applicant is required to take the high school equivalency exam to be eligible for admission or financial aid requirements for an educational or vocational program (C.R.S. 22-33-104.7(1)).
- Applicant has been expelled from school or denied admission in accordance with the provisions of C.R.S. 22-33-104.
- Applicant is enrolled in a “Pilot School” with an agreement with a school district or board of cooperative services to provide educational services enabling the applicant to successfully complete the high school equivalency exam (C.R.S. 22-38-104(10)).
- Applicant has a probation condition requiring attendance to an educational program or to work toward the successful completion of the high school equivalency exam (C.R.S. 18-1.3-204).
- Applicant has a parole condition requiring attendance to an educational program or to work toward the successful completion of the high school equivalency exam (C.R.S. 19-2-207).
- Applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the juvenile court and the judicial officer or administrative hearing officer who has responsibility for the case finds that sitting for the high school equivalency exam is in the best interest of the student (C.R.S. 22-33-104.7(2)).
You must register for an HSE exam:
If your Age Waiver Application in incomplete or has been denied:
If your application was incomplete or has been denied, you will be contacted at the email or phone number provided on the application. If incomplete, you must make the necessary changes and resubmit a the application (including the completed application and support letter).
**As of August 1st, 2014 there is no longer a fee required to process age waivers**