CDE will be closed on Monday, July 4 for the Independence Day holiday.
You are here
HSE Age Waivers
16-year-olds are able to take a High School Equivalency (HSE) examination if they are approved to do so via an HSE Age Waiver. All of the requirements for applying for the HSE Age Waiver are on the Application itself and listed below under Conditions for Approval.
Follow these steps to request an age waiver:
1) Form: Complete the Age Waiver Application for the test you want to take - please read it carefully! If none of the 6 listed conditions in the age waiver apply, you cannot be approved and must wait to test when you are 17.
GED Age Waiver (PDF) - (able to email as of March 2021)
Spanish GED Age Waiver (PDF)
HiSET Age Waiver (PDF) - (must print and send by mail)
Spanish HiSET Age Waiver (PDF)
2) Obtain the supporting letter: You must obtain an original, typed letter on official letterhead, signed from the institution requiring the credential, and addressed to the applicant supporting the condition you selected on the Application. Most often, this is a letter from the college, university, or trade school the applicant wants to attend.
3) Send: Mail both the Application AND the supporting letter to the HSE test provider's address or email address (at the bottom of the application). The Department of Education will NOT process age waivers.
- Incomplete or Denied Application: The test provider (GED or HiSET) will contact you via email or your student portal. If incomplete, you must make the necessary changes and resubmit the application (including the completed application AND supporting letter).
- If you are under 16 years of age: Do not apply for an age waiver application. Please wait until you are 16.
- Supporting letters MUST BE ON OFFICIAL letterhead. Please do not send a handwritten or typed unofficial letter. Your application will be denied.
- Wait time: Application processing may take up to two weeks. Please allow ample time. Expedited requests will be denied.
- Fees: As of August 2014, there is no fee required to process age waivers.
One of the following statutory conditions must be met in order to be approved for an age waiver. Please note that, by law, these are the only conditions under which an age waiver can be approved. If none of the conditions apply, the tester cannot be approved and must wait to test until the age of 17.
Supporting Letter: An original, typed letter on official letterhead, signed from the institution requiring the credential, and addressed to the applicant supporting one of the conditions must also be provided along with the completed age waiver form. This letter is not optional.
- Applicant is required to take the high school equivalency exam to be eligible for admission or financial aid requirements for an educational or vocational program (C.R.S. 22-33-104.7(1)).
- Applicant has been expelled from school or denied admission in accordance with the provisions of C.R.S. 22-33-104.
- Applicant is enrolled in a “Pilot School” with an agreement with a school district or board of cooperative services to provide educational services enabling the applicant to successfully complete the high school equivalency exam (C.R.S. 22-38-104(10)).
- Applicant has a probation condition requiring attendance to an educational program or to work toward the successful completion of the high school equivalency exam (C.R.S. 18-1.3-204). MUST BE A COURT ORDER.
- Applicant has a parole condition requiring attendance to an educational program or to work toward the successful completion of the high school equivalency exam (C.R.S. 19-2-207). MUST BE A COURT ORDER.
- Applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the juvenile court and the judicial officer or administrative hearing officer who has responsibility for the case finds that sitting for the high school equivalency exam is in the best interest of the student (C.R.S. 22-33-104.7(2)). MUST BE A COURT ORDER.
Before or immediately after completing and sending your Age Waiver Application and supporting letter, create a student account with the test provider you chose. This is how they will notify you of approval or any issues with your age waiver request.
Create a student account with:
Waiting for notification about your Application? Follow up with the test provider:
- GED: email email@example.com
- HiSET: call 855-myHiSET (855-694-4738)
*The Department of Education will NOT process age waivers; please do not send them to the HSE Testing Office.*