In May 2009, the Colorado State Legislature passed House Bill 09-1319 and Senate Bill 09-285, the Concurrent Enrollment Programs Act. The collective intent is to broaden access to and improve the quality of concurrent enrollment programs, improve coordination between institutions of secondary education and institutions of higher education and ensure financial transparency and accountability. Beyond coordinating and clarifying the existing concurrent enrollment programs, the bill also creates the “5th year” ASCENT program for students retained by the high school for instruction beyond the senior year. For questions about Concurrent Enrollment or ASCENT, please contact Michelle Camacho Liu at 303-866-6596 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annual Report on Concurrent Enrollment
In collaboration with the Department of Higher Education, CDE released the Annual Report on Concurrent Enrollment with data highlighting the enrollment and outcomes of Concurrent Enrollment students in the 2012-2013 school year. Highlights include:
- Concurrent Enrollment participation increased by 28%, with 4,246 more students participating in the program than in the prior year.
- The number of Hispanic students - Colorado's largest minority group - participating in Concurrent Enrollment increased by 37.3% from 2011-12 to 2012-13.
- The majority of students - 84% - passed all of their Concurrent Enrollment courses.
- 775 students in Concurrent Enrollment or ASCENT programs earned some type of postsecondary credential in 2013. This is a 60% increase over last year's credential completion total.
Please note this is only for districts that submitted an initial request by February 1st, 2014! No new requests will be accepted at this time.
Please click here to download the official affidavit form and excel spreadsheet to complete and send in to finalize your request. You will also find more information on eligibility and determining number of slots to finalize your request. If you have questions, please contact Michelle Camacho Liu at email@example.com or 303-866-6596.
Frequently Asked Questions
CDE has been working closely with the Concurrent Enrollment Advisory Board (CEAB) to provide clarified guidance, beginning by updating these Frequently Asked Questions. These updated FAQs were reviewed and approved by the CEAB in January 2014.
- Concurrent Enrollment Programs FAQS (applicable to both CE and ASCENT)
Legislation and Rules
Annual Legislative Report on Concurrent Enrollment