CDE will be closed on Monday, Jan. 18 for the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.
You are here
Career and Technical Education
About Career and Technical Education (CTE)
The Colorado Community College System (CCCS) oversees Career and Technical Education for all students in Colorado.
CCCS and CDE collaborate regularly on this important work to increase the postsecondary and workforce readiness of all Colorado students.
For much more information about CTE programming in Colorado, please see the official CTE website.
Overall Goals and Outcomes of CTE
To provide quality educational programs emphasizing core academic content, Postsecondary & Workforce Readiness (PWR) competencies, technical skills, and seamless transition to further education or employment and better prepare students, including special populations to meet challenges of the workforce, economic development, and emerging occupations.
CTE Program Types
Colorado CTE programs are divided into six industry sectors:
1. Agriculture, Natural Resources & Energy
2. STEM, Arts, Design & Information Technology
3. Skilled Trades & Technical Sciences
4. Health Science, Criminal Justice & Public Safety
5. Hospitality, Human Services & Education
6. Business, Marketing & Public Administration
More than 5,000 community and business leaders serve on advisory committees and councils supporting CTE programs.
Career and Technical Student Organizations
CTSOs help students build leadership skills, promote positive work values, and reinforce the CTE curriculum. Nine CTE student organizations include: DECA, FBLA, FCCLA, FFA, HOSA, PBL, (SC)2, SkillsUSA, and TSA. In 2017-2018, more than 32,000 students participated in CTE student organizations as state affiliated members.
Colorado Career Clusters
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- Management & Administration
- Government & Public Administration
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Education & Training
- Health Sciences
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communication
- Information Technology
- Postsecondary & Workforce Readiness
CTE Facts – 17/18 Academic Year
Individual Students Enrolled in CTE Programs
Colorado Community College System (2019), Colorado Career and Technical Education. Retrieved from http://coloradostateplan.com/