You are here
Gifted Education Monitoring
The Exceptional Children's Educational Act (ECEA) defines "monitoring" as:
Each AU shall comply with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations regarding the program plan, identification and special educational services for gifted students.
Each AU shall be subject to ongoing monitoring by the Department concerning implementation of the program plan.
Monitoring procedures shall include:
- A determination of compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations, and
- An assessment of program quality based on the standards established by the Department of Education.
Monitoring activities shall include:
- A review of the annual and comprehensive program plans;
- A review of the annual enrollment and student performance reports;
- A planned comprehensive on-site procedure integrated with the continuous improvement and gifted education review process in the Department of Education; and
- Follow-up activities including the provision of technical assistance in areas of non-compliance and verification that areas of non-compliance have been corrected. 12.07
The AU conducts ongoing monitoring for the following indicators:
- Annual Plan (UIP);
- Comprehensive Program Plan (CPP);
- Gifted student enrollment;
- Gifted student performance; and
- Improvement Timeline.(if applicable).
The CDE conducts ongoing monitoring:
Every three-five years, the AU participates in the Colorado Gifted Education Review (CGER). A CGER is a planned comprehensive on-site procedure integrated with the continuous improvement and gifted education review process in the Department of Education.
CGER is designed to be a collaborative monitoring process that is the shared responsibility of the AU, CDE and the Gifted Education Regional Consultant (GERC). The purpose of this partnership is to increase the capacity of educators and educational systems to identify, program and be accountable for gifted learner achievement and growth.
Resources for Monitoring:
- Affective Goal Development and Monitoring
- Colorado Gifted Education Review
- Comprehensive Program Plan
- Gifted Student Enrollment
- Improvement Timeline
- Unified Improvement Plan
Note: If you are not able to access the resources or need additional support, please contact the Office of Gifted Education Gifted Program Administrator.