Site Index | CDE Offices | Staff Directory


Gifted Education Specialist Standards for Endorsement

Added Endorsement: Gifted Education Specialist

Information about endorsement application and online submission is available on the Educator Licensing Unit webpage Please direct any questions to them by calling (303) 866-6628.

Graduate Programs

There are four Gifted Education Specialist Endorsement programs that have been approved by the Colorado Department of Education. These programs are at Regis University, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, University of Denver and University of Northern Colorado. This webpage will provide general information about the Gifted Endorsements as well as information about the graduate programs that lead to an endorsement and/or master's degree.

Regis University

Below is the program fact sheet which overviews the Regis University CPS Master of Education requirements for an Added Endorsement in Gifted and Talented Education

In addition, program information for the Academic Certificate in Gifted & Talented Education is available at:

This certificate is designed for current educators seeking to complement their current license, upgrade their skills and credentials or as a segue into our Masters of Education Program.

**Please note that Regis University College for Professional Studies offers a 10 pct Tuition Discount to Licensed Teachers.

University of Colorado at Colorado Springs

This 26 credit-hour endorsement prepares teachers at all levels to enhance their teaching methodologies in Gifted & Talented education. The Endorsement will require 3 credit hours of practicum work.

Optionally, these courses may be applied to a 32-credit-hour General Master of Arts Degree in Curriculum & Instruction. All courses are offered in a convenient online format.

Students may apply for the program and enroll on a rolling basis and begin classes in the semester following acceptance.

Upon completion of the endorsement and practicum credits, students are required to pass the approved PLACE exam prior to licensing.


University of Denver

The 45-quarter credit master's and 90-quarter credit doctoral programs in curriculum and instruction are designed for students who want to further their knowledge of teaching, learning, schools, and communities from academically grounded frameworks. Gifted and talented education is one of the frameworks that is offered in this program.

The Graduate Academic Certificate in Gifted Education involves 27-credit hours of coursework including a practicum. Courses are offered in several formats.

  • Summer—Intensive one-week sessions followed by additional course time online.
  • Winter and Spring Quarters—Selected Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday mornings followed by additional course time online.
  • Overview of Courses (PDF)

For additional information on the Certificate Program, contact Megan S. Kennedy, Enrollment Services Coordinator at 303-871-2503 or

University of Northern Colorado

Master of Arts in Special Education: Gifted and Talented Education
Gifted and Talented Specialist Endorsement

Quick Links


Contact Us

Colorado Dept. of Education
201 East Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 303-866-6600
Fax: 303-830-0793
Contact CDE

Mon - Fri 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Educator Licensing
Location & Hours