- “In the great work of education, our physical condition, if not the first step in point of importance, is the first in order of time. On the broad and firm foundation of health alone can the loftiest and most enduring structures of the intellect be reared.” ~Horace Mann
- "We know what the Greeks knew: that intelligence and skill can only function at the peak of their capacity when the body is healthy and strong, and that hardy spirits and tough minds usually inhabit sound bodies." ~John F. Kennedy
Preparing students for the 21st century cannot be accomplished without a strong and sustained emphasis on all students’ health and wellness. It no is longer acceptable to think of “gym class” and “hygiene lessons.” Today’s world has exploded with physical, mental, and social influences that affect not only learning in school, but also the lifelong health of the citizens that schools are preparing for graduation.
Health and physical education prepare students to function optimally as students, global citizens, and workers who demonstrate personal responsibility for one’s health and fitness through an active, healthy lifestyle that fosters a lifelong commitment to wellness. (Read more about Colorado Comprehensive Health and Physical Education Standards.)
Comprehensive Health and Physical Education Standards
- High School - Preschool PDF Version
- High School - Preschool Compatible Microsoft Word Version
- Online sortable standards by content, grade level and PGC:
Curriculum Design Tools
Understanding the Colorado Academic Standards in Comprehensive Health and Physical Education (CHPE)
Grade level specific booklets for Comprehensive Health and Physical Education standards
For website assistance in Comprehensive Health and Physical Education, please contact Phyllis Reed.