Definition: A child with a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a child with an acquired injury to the brain caused by an external physical force resulting in total or partial functional disability or psychosocial impairment, or both, which impairment adversely affects the child’s ability to receive reasonable educational benefit from general education. A qualifying Traumatic Brain Injury is an open or closed head injury resulting in impairments in one or more areas, such as cognition; language; memory; attention; reasoning; abstract thinking; judgment; problem-solving; sensory, perceptual, and motor abilities; psychosocial behavior; physical functions; information processing; and speech. The term “traumatic brain injury” under this rule does not apply to brain injuries that are congenital or degenerative, or to brain injuries induced by birth trauma.
Professional Development Opportunities
Challenging Behavior and Executive Function for Students with Brain Injury (and other neurologically impacted disabilities)
- December 4, 2015 - Adams 12 Conference Center, Thornton, CO
- January 15, 2016 - Doubletree Hotelm Grand Junction, CO
- February 19, 2016 - Island Grove Regional Park, Greeley, CO
- March 18, 2016 - Lowry Conference, Denver, CO
- April 15, 2016 - Doubletree Hotel, Colorado Springs, CO
Online Learning Opportunities
Brain Injury: Special Education Criteria and Social Emotional Intervention
Level 2 Brain Injury Training (Video Modules - 4 parts):
Eligibility and School-Based Inter-Disciplinary Assessment and Intervention: A Common Sense Approach
Join the Brain Injury Listserv
To subscribe to the brain injury listserv:
- Open a new email.
- In the “To” field, type the email address TBIemail@example.com and send the message.
- You will receive a confirmation email. You will not be added until you respond to this email.
- If you have a problem, try using “plain” text or check with the technology people in your district.
To unsubscribe from the Brain Injury listserv:
- Open a new email.
- In the “To” field, type the email address firstname.lastname@example.org and send the message.
- In the body of the message write, “unsubscribe TBI.”
- You will automatically be unsubscribed.
For more information, please contact: