Working with Colorado school districts to develop a comprehensive system of support for children with a mild to severe brain injury, through the development of systemic district-level protocol and partnership with community resources.
- UPDATED: 2014 Concussion Management Guidelines
- Brain Injury in Children and Youth-A Manual for Educators
- Senate Bill 11-040: The Jake Snakenberg Youth Concussion Act
Helpful Publications and Materials
- Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport: the 4th International Conference on Concussion in Sport, held in Zurich, November 2012
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American Academy of Neurology: Summary of evidence-based guideline update: Evaluation and Management of Concussion in Sports
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Position Statement: Concussion in Sport
- American Academy of Pediatrics Clinical Report: Returning to Learning Following a Concussion
- National Athletic Trainers' Association Position Statement: Management of Sport Concussion
- National Association of School Nurses Position Statement: Concussion- The Role of the School Nurse
- National Association of School Psychologists Communique: Return to Learning: Going Back to School Following a Concussion
- Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children REAP- English or Spanish
- Children's Hospital Colorado Concussion Comeback Guide
- Get Schooled on Concussions Return to Learn (RTL)
- CDE Exceptional Student Leadership Unit; Traumatic Brain Injury
- Colorado Kids with Brain Injury
- Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado (BIAC)
- Health Care Program for Children with Special Needs (HCP)
- Colorado Brain Injury Program
Areas of Support
Concussion Action Team Teleconference Meetings: Informal teleconference meetings held monthly to provide school professionals with an opportunity to ask questions, discuss challenges, share accomplishments, learn about new materials/research, and to connect with school professionals across Colorado. These meetings are provided by the Colorado Department of Education specifically for school professionals. For more information or to join the listserv contact Janet Tyler (email listed below).
Brain Injury - Health and Wellness
Provides support to Colorado school districts in developing a comprehensive system of support for children who have sustained a brain injury through the development of protocol and collaboration with community resources. This specifically includes technical assistance related to concussion management protocol, trainings, and facilitating collaboration across educational and community settings to ensure successful education and health outcomes for students.
For more information, please contact:
Janet Tyler, Ph.D.
To join the Brain Injury and/or Concussion list serves, please email Janet Tyler.