Definition: Specific Learning Disability means a disorder in one or more of the basic psychological processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, that may manifest itself in the imperfect ability to listen, think, speak, read, write, spell or do mathematical calculations, including conditions such as perceptual disabilities, brain injury, minimal brain dysfunction, dyslexia, and developmental aphasia.
Professional Development Opportunities
- SLD Reading Project: Phonology, Advanced Decoding, and Word Study
This is an invitation to participate in a multi-component professional development opportunity with a preference for teams comprised of at least one general educator, and one special educator. (We are accepting registrations frmo teams not able to meet this preferred make-up and individuals no able to register as part of a team). Please read the project flyer with the project commitments outlined and follow the instructions for registering. The links to registration according to choice of date/site of the initial, full-day regional workshop are given below.
- Flyer (PDF)
- Registration links by locations and dates of initial, full-day workshop:
- SLD Math Project: Algebraic Reasoning for Students with Specific Learning Disabilities - Building a Strong Foundation for Success Across All Grades
This is an invitation to participate in a multi-component professional development opportunity with a preference for teams comprised of at least one general educator and one special educator. (We are accepting registrations from teams not able to meet this preferred make-up and individuals not able to register as part of a team.) Please read the project flyer with the project commitments outlined and follow the instructions for registering.
Please Note: For the SLD Math Project only, there is an online module option to the required initial workshop. First priority for the online module will be given to those whose districts are located more than 100 miles from the full-day workshop venues. The links to registration according to choice of date/site of the initial, full-day regional workshop OR the online module are given below.
- SLD Math 2014-2015 Flyer (PDF)
- Registration links by locations and ates of the initial full-day workshop and the online module option
- SLD Online Course - Specific Learning Disabilities: Eligibility Criteria and Identification Process
- Please check back soon for October/November 2014 offering for this online class
Check for professional opportunities addressing the implementation of Response to Intervention.
Documents related to the Identification of SLD
- SLD Topic Briefs:
- SLD Topic Brief: Cultural and/or Linguistically Diverse and SLD (PDF)
- SLD Topic Brief - Evaluation and Eligibility (PDF)
- SLD Topic Brief - RtI and Referral (PDF)
- SLD Topic Brief - Dyslexia and SLD (PDF)
- SLD Topic Brief - GT and SLD (PDF)
- SLD Topic Brief - SLI and SLD (PDF)
- SLD Topic Brief - Triennial Reevaluation and Continued Eligibility (PDF)
- SLD in Colorado Rules and Federal Regulations (PDF)
- The above document includes the sections from the Colorado Rules for the Administration of the Exceptional Children’s Educational Act pertaining to Specific Learning Disabilities, as well as the sections of the Federal Regulations that are referenced in these Colorado Rules as also being applicable.
- Guidelines for Identifying Students with Specific Learning Disabilities, Revised October, 2008 (PDF)
- The guidelines above provide specific guidance in the implementation of the eligibility criteria and identification process for identifying students with Specific Learning Disabilities in Colorado.
- Fast Fact: SLD, October 2011 (PDF)
Presentations/Resources from SLD professional development sessions
- SLD Eligibility and Identification Process: Slideshow Presentations (2014)
- Oral Expression and Listening Comprehension as Areas of SLD: PowerPoint presentation address eligibility in these two areas and considerations to assist in the determination of primary disability for students who may be considered eligible for both SLD and SLI (Speech-Language Impairment).
- OE-LC PowerPoint, 2013 (PDF)
- SLD Webinar: Basic Reading Skill Assessment and Specialized Instruction
Melody Ilk, literacy consultant, led this session that addressed the assessment of basic reading skills, as well as the effective implementation of research-based instruction for improving the achievement of students with this most commonly-identified type of Specific Learning Disabilities. The presenter coordinated a six-year, multi-building, literacy project that resulted in extraordinary achievement gains in high risk schools and among students with disabilities.
This PowerPoint presentation outlines the content covered by the presenter. There is no recording of the auditory portion of this Webinar.
- SLD Webinar, 10-02-12 (PDF)
- SLD Identification: Body of Evidence Related to the 2 Key Criteria in Areas of Literacy and Math - 2010-2011
Response to Intervention (RtI)
Determining a child’s response to scientifically, researched-based intervention as required in the identification of a Specific Learning Disability is critical. However, Response to Intervention as a statewide systems’ reform initiative is being promoted across the Colorado Department of Education to improve learning results for ALL students, not just those who may be identified as having a Specific Learning Disability. The follow link will provide access to the RtI Guidebook, sample brochure, training presentations, videos and other resources.
For more information, please contact:
Phone: (303) 866-6883