You are here
School Finance Unit
Finance Guidance During COVID-19
CDE has created guidance around finance during the COVID-19 pandemic, including guidance on School Finance Funding, Federal CARES Act Money, TABOR emergency reserve, non-reimbursed costs and more.
Colorado public schools receive funding from a variety of sources. However, most revenues to Colorado's 178 school districts are provided through the Public School Finance Act of 1994 (as amended).
In budget year 2018-19, this legislation provides for over $7.0 billion of funding to Colorado school districts via state taxes ($4.5 billion), local specific ownership (vehicle registration) taxes ($183.8 million), and local property taxes ($2.36 billion). Moneys provided via the Public School Finance Act of 1994 are available to each school district to fund the costs of providing public education.
Join the School Finance Email List:
Send an email to Megan Richardson,
Public School Finance Act
Categorical and Other State Funding
Reports Provided by Other Agencies
Statutory Compliance and Reporting
- Critical Dates - FY 2022-2023(PDF)
- Critical Dates - FY 2021-2022(PDF)
- Budget Templates - FY 2022-2023
- School Finance Templates
- Financial Audit Law and Submission
- Network Charter Schools Financial Audit Requirements (updated 09/13/2018) (PDF)
- Colorado Independent Audit Requirement for Charter School-Oct. 17, 2011 (PDF)
- Report on District Revenues and Expenditures
- Analysis: Funding Per Pupil by Accreditation Categories
- Data Pipeline
- Data Pipeline: Quick Reference (PDF)
- Data Pipeline: Reconciliation Checklist (PDF)
- Data Pipeline: Finance December Details
- Data Pipeline: Helpful Hints for Business Rules
- Data Pipeline: Single Sign-on
- Assurances for Financial Accreditation
- Where Do I Send My Audit?
- Revenue reports and check figures - FY 2022:
- Financial Data Warehouse Sub-Recipient Report FY 2022
- State revenue check figures (XLS)
- PERA: Modified Accrual Calculation (XLS) The District/BOCES percentage to populate the Calculation Worksheet is available on the School Division Trust Fund report accessed through the PERA STARS portal.
- USDA Foods check figures (XLS)
- Worksheet to Calculate Voter Approved MLO Revenue by county (XLS)
- Indirect Cost Rates
- Federal Grants Accounting Section
- Financial Reporting, Prior Years