You are here
School Finance Office
Finance Guidance During COVID-19
CDE has created guidance around finance during the COVID-19 pandemic, including guidance on School Finance Funding, Federal CARES Act Money, TABOR emergency reserve, non-reimbursed costs and more.
Colorado public schools receive funding from a variety of sources. However, most revenues to Colorado's 178 school districts are provided through the Public School Finance Act of 1994 (as amended).
In budget year 2018-19, this legislation provides for over $7.0 billion of funding to Colorado school districts via state taxes ($4.5 billion), local specific ownership (vehicle registration) taxes ($183.8 million), and local property taxes ($2.36 billion). Moneys provided via the Public School Finance Act of 1994 are available to each school district to fund the costs of providing public education.
Join the School Finance Email List
Visit Financial Transparency Site
Public School Finance Act
Statutory Compliance and Reporting
- Critical Dates - FY 2023-2024 (PDF)
- Critical Dates - FY 2022-2023 (PDF)
- Budget Templates - FY 2023-2024
- School Finance Templates
- Financial Audit Law and Submission
- Network Charter Schools Financial Audit Requirements (updated 09/13/2018) (PDF)
- Colorado Independent Audit Requirement for Charter School-Oct. 17, 2011 (PDF)
- Report on District Revenues and Expenditures
- Analysis: Funding Per Pupil by Accreditation Categories
- Data Pipeline
- Data Pipeline: Quick Reference (PDF)
- Data Pipeline: Reconciliation Checklist (PDF)
- Data Pipeline: Finance December Details
- Data Pipeline: Helpful Hints for Business Rules
- Data Pipeline: Single Sign-on
- Assurances for Financial Accreditation
- Where Do I Send My Audit?
- Revenue reports and check figures for FY 2023:
- Financial Data Warehouse Sub-Recipient Report
- State revenue check figures (XLS)
- PERA: Modified Accrual Calculation (XLS) The District/BOCES percentage to populate the Calculation Worksheet is available on the School Division Trust Fund report accessed through the PERA STARS portal. Not to be used by DPS/DPS charter schools a different schedule applies.
- USDA Foods check figures (XLS)
- Worksheet to Calculate Voter Approved MLO Revenue by county (XLS)
- Indirect Cost Rates
- Federal Grants Accounting Section
- Financial Reporting, Prior Years