You are here
CDE Charter School Topic-Based Webinars
CDE Schools of Choice Unit organizes Topic-Based Webinars presented by experts from the field to support the charter school community with knowledge of best practice and evolving policy changes. To receive technical assistance credit for the Colorado Charter School Program grant, complete the training request form (DOCX) and submit it to email@example.com.
Adult Resilience and Stress Management within a We-Care Culture
- Link to Recording
- Building Resiliency for Charter School Practitioners, How to Support both Staff and Students
Equitable Distribution of Teachers Updates and Guidance for Charter School Practitioners
Recorded on March 8th, 2022, Niko Kaloudis, ESEA Titles I and II Specialist at the Colorado Department of Education, provided a high-level overview of Equitable Distribution of Teachers (EDT). During this session, he shared updates and information around recent EDT disparities between charter schools and charter school authorizers and strategies and techniques that charter school practitioners can implement to prevent EDT disparities.
Charter School Finance Part 2: Strategic Planning, Forecasting and Budgeting
Recorded on Tuesday, February 8th, 2022. Amanda Karger, Owner of Paragon Financial Services and Christopher Scott, Director of Finance at Ascent Classical Academies discussed budgeting best practices including, long-term planning and forecasting, essential players in the budgeting process, how to advocate for equitable funding for charter schools and the introduction of a new budgeting tool.
- Charter School Financial Planning and Strategy Presentation PDF
- Budget Projection Tool ( Excel)
- Budget Self-Assessment ( Excel)
Charter School Finance Part 1: Financial Oversight
Recorded on Tuesday, January 11th, 2022. Amanda Karger, Owner of Paragon Financial Services, facilitated an introductory discussion on financial oversight, highlighting topics including roles and responsibilities, financial reports, and audits.
- Recording link
- Charter School Finance Oversight Presentation (PDF)
- Financial Report Self-Assessment ( Excel)
- Financial Responsibility Inventory ( Excel)
- Internal Control Self- Assessment (Word)
- Audit Scavenger Hunt (PDF)
Strategies to Foster Authentic Family, Community and School Partnerships for Charter School Practitioners
- Recording link
- Strategies to Foster Authentic Family, Community and School Partnerships for Charter School Practitioners PDF
Special Education Cost Accounting: What Charter School Practitioners Need to Know
- Link to Recording
- Challenges to Charter School Special Education Funding Arrangements: Preliminary Findings PDF
Spring 2021 Equity Convening: Applying Equity Frameworks to Advance Systemic Change in Education
- Plenary Sessions
- Authorizer Workshop
Tools for Addressing Inequities in Discipline of Students with Disabilities
Tools for Addressing Inequities in Discipline of Students with Disabilities
Accountability and School Improvement Training: Understanding Student Engagement for Improvement Planning
Recorded on May 12th, Dan Jorgensen, Accountability Support Manager, Improvement Planning & Support, and Amy Werpy, Expelled and At-Risk Student Services Program, explored the concept of student engagement, including how it may be used to support improved instruction and improvement planning work in charter schools. Additionally, they shared engagement measures, including attendance, perception data, and critical data considerations to support the adoption of student engagement data sources within Unified Improvement Plan(s).
- Accountability and School Improvement Training: Understanding Student Engagement for Improvement Planning
Anti-Racist Strategies to Disrupt Racial Inequities in Charter Schools (Part 2)
Recorded on March 9th, 2021. Aaron Green, Social Work Consultant and Trainer concluded the two-part webinar series on equipping charter school practitioners with the tools and strategies needed to disrupt known and unknown racial inequities.
Equal Access Webinar Series in Conjunction with Charter School Institute
- Equal Access Series Session 1: School Policy Review Through a Multicultural Lens (Recorded on 02/10/2021)
- Equal Access Series Session 2: Identifying and Addressing Enrollment Barriers for Multi-Lingual Families (Recorded on 3/10/2021)
Equal Access Series Session 3: ELD Implementation and Program Evaluation (Recorded on March 17th, 2021)
Equal Access Series Session 4: Equity of Access and Outcomes Screener for Special Populations (Recorded April 20th, 2021)
Equity of Access Report (Interactive Tableau Dashboard)
Equal Access Series Session 5: Accurate Identification for Multilingual Learners (Recorded May 5th,2021)
Anti-Racist Strategies to Disrupt Racial Inequities in Charter Schools (Part 1)
Anti-Racist Strategies to Disrupt Racial Inequities (Part 1)- Recorded on March 23rd, 2021. Aaron Green, Social Work Consultant and Trainer facilitated the first of a two-part webinar series on equipping charter school practitioners with the tools and strategies needed to disrupt known and unknown racial inequities.
- Anti-Racist Strategies to Disrupt Racial Inequities in Charter Schools (Recorded on 02/23/2021)
Governance Board Training Resources
The Schools of Choice Team has been working diligently in conjunction with the Colorado League of Charter Schools, the Colorado Charter School Institute, and the Colorado Association of Charter School Authorizers – incorporating feedback both from charter schools and charter school authorizers - to update the free, on-demand, governing board training that CDE has provided for many years. From this collaboration, we are now happy to announce Governance Board Training Resources accessible to all charter school practitioners .
These free courses are accessible via the Colorado League of Charter Schools (CLCS) YM online platform. Please use your CLCS membership credentials to access this training, or create a free profile on their website.
- Governance Board Basics
- Non-Discrimination Training for Charter School Boards
Equity and Inclusion: Creating a Sense of Belonging Through Tiered Systems of Support
- Creating a Sense of Belonging Through Tiered Systems of Support (Recorded 01/12/2021)
Technology Funding Opportunities for Colorado Charter Schools
Recorded on December 8th, 2020, DeLilah Collins, ESEA Office Assistant Director, Federal Programs Colorado Department Of Education, conducted a webinar that discussed technology funding opportunities for charter schools, highlighting the federal E-Rate Program as other technology funding opportunities.
- Technology Funding Opportunities for Charters Recording (Recorded on 12/8/2020)
- Technology Funding Opportunities for Charters Slide Deck
- E-Rate Guidance One Pager (Released October 2020)
Mental Health During a Pandemic: The Three C's to Mental Health
Recorded on Tuesday, November 10th, 2020, Dr. Morgan Beidleman, founder and chief clinician at Reach Learning Services, conducted an interactive webinar to teach academic and social-emotional competencies.
English Language Development Programming in Charter Schools
How can you enhance your knowledge around obligations provided for English learners? This webinar, recorded on July 21, 2020, addressed how fulfilling obligations in the areas of state and federal requirements for ELD programs/services for English learners in Colorado, specific for charter schools, including identification, re-designation, programming, evaluation, and parent communication are key to providing learning opportunities for English learners. Listen to Lindsay Swanton and Doris Nguyen from The Office of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education at CDE cover a plethora of information concerning ELD programming.
- ELD Programming Webinar Recording (Recorded on 7/21/2020) Coming Soon
- ELD Programming Resource Folder
Accountability & Improvement Foundations
Interested in learning more about Unified Improvement Plans (UIP) and Accountability? Recorded in June of 2020, Erin Loften and Dan Jorgensen from the Colorado Department of Education provide an in-depth training on CDE's accountability system and UIP process.
- Accountability and Data Overview Recording (Recorded on 6/2/2020)
- Accountability and Data Overview PowerPoint (pdf)
- UIP Overview & Data Analysis Recording (Recorded on 6/4/2020)
- UIP Overview & Data Analysis PowerPoint (pdf)
- UIP Action Planning & Best Practices (Recorded on 6/11/2020)
- UIP Action Planning PowerPoint (pdf)
From Survival to Quality: Refining Your Online Model to Increase Student Access to High-Quality Education
Recorded on May 12, 2020, Kaci Coats (Executive Director of The Collaborative for Exceptional Education) facilitated a discussion among four charter school leaders who are each taking specific steps to ensure their remote learning models during the time of COVID-19 are inclusive of all students. As we move towards an uncertain future for fall learning, this webinar focused on the importance of considering how to move towards a quality approach to online education.
- From Survival to Quality Resource Folder
- From Survival to Quality Recording (Introduction and Closeout)
- From Survival to Quality Webinar Recording (Breakout Rooms)
Five Promising Practices for Intentional Equity
Recorded on March 10, 2020, Dr. Aaron J. Griffen, Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion at Denver School of Science and Technology, and Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer of Prosperity Educators, LLC guided us through our fears of implementing diversity equity and inclusion programming. In this Topic- Based Webinar, Dr. Griffen challenges organizations to unpack the WHY and WILL to intentionally promote educational equity and ultimately encourage organizations to access your readiness to implement intentional equity into your organizational planning.
- Five Promising Practices for Intentional Equity Webinar Recording
- Five Promising Practices for Intentional Equity PowerPoint (pdf)
Equitable Distribution of Teachers
Recorded on February 27, 2020, Jeremy Meredith, ESEA Senior Consultant, Title II explains how the Colorado Department of Education compiles and evaluates Equitable Distribution of Teachers (EDT) data. Jeremy will provide strategies to charter schools in working with their authorizers to meet statutory requirements and address gaps in this area.
- Equitable Distribution of Teachers Webinar Recording
- Equitable Distribution of Teachers PowerPoint (pdf)
- Equitable Distribution of Teachers: Indicators and Document Guidance (pdf)
Foundations of Effective Governance: Session 2
Recorded on January 14, 2020, Dr. Jorgensen concludes the Effective Governance Topic-Based Webinar series. During this webinar, Dr. Jorgensen reviewed the first five principles of the ten principles of the Policy Governance and provided an in-depth analysis of the remaining five principles of Policy Governance.
Recordings to Comply with TA Requirements
Recorded May 13, 2019, "What gets measured gets done," Denise Mund provides an overview of the data dashboard process. This critical tool helps governing boards and school leaders keep an eye on the important measurables.
Recorded on February 21, 2017, Jennell Verow and Clare Vickland provide information on teacher evaluation, evaluation cycle and common challenges.
- Evaluation Practices Webinar Recording
- Evaluation Practices PowerPoint and Presenter Notes (PPTX)
- Evaluation Practices Assessment Inventory (DOCX)
- Performance Improvement Plan Template (DOCX)
- Additional information: The evaluation cycle does not need to be followed in sequence and should be tailored to your school. "Leverage Leadership" by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo is referenced as a resource.
Recorded February 17, 2016, Dr. Terry Croy Lewis presents information to charter school board members on effective leadership evaluation for themselves as well as school leaders.
- Leadership Self-Evaluation Webinar Recording
- Leadership Self-Evaluation PowerPoint (PPTX)
- Sample Evaluation Tool (DOCX)
- Additional information: Charter school board members often have a diverse background of experience. Creating self-evaluation tools that need to be tailored to not only the school's mission can improve leadership.