You are here
School Nursing and Health - Training Tools
Rules & Guidelines
- Colorado Medication Administration Guidelines (August 2019 PDF)
- Colorado Rules for Administration of Medications (1 CCR-301 68)
- Chapter 13 - Rules and Reguations Regarding the Delegation of Nursing Tasks (3 CCR 716-1, start on page 81)
- SB 17-033 - OTC Medication
- SB 21-056 Fact Sheet Concerning Administration of Medical Marijuana at School (8/2021 PDF)
- Stock Epinephrine - see Allergy/Anaphylaxis Rules & Guidelines
Follow these steps for Medication Administration Training and delegation by school nurse:
- The school nurse registers on the Healthy Child Care Colorado website to access Medication Administration Training course materials.
- The school nurse must register to access the materials. Use the blue "Apply" button to apply to join the CCHC Center.
- After access granted, the school nurse can log in to acccess the faciliator guide, materials, forms, and resources.
- The school nurse reviews the training and uses the resources for training and delegation of Unlicensed Administrative Personnel (UAP).
- The UAP takes the MAT course either in person or online (at school nurse's discretion) and prints certificate.
- The school nurse verifies competency of the UAP to administer medication and the school nurse delegates the task of medication administration.
- National Association of School Nurses: Position Statements on Medication and Delegation (Exiting CDE)
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Policy Statement - Guidance for the Administration of Medication in School (Exiting CDE)
- Colorado Emergency Guidelines
- Colorado Emergency Guidelines for Schools (2022 PDF)
- CPR/ AED/ First Aid
- CPR & AED in Rules & Regulations Governing Schools (section 6.13)
- CPR for Coaches (1 CCR 301-96)
- CPR for Bus Drivers (1 CCR 301-26 5.01(i))
- CPR Training for High School Students (SB 23-023)
- First Aid and CPR Clarification (CDPHE)
- CDPHE Compliance Guidelines for Schools (CDPHE)
- CPR Directives/ Do Not Attempt to Resuscitate (Resources on Special Needs page)
- Colorado Good Samaritan Act for CPR and AED (exiting CDE)
- AED Position Statement - American Academy of Pediatrics (PDF)
- AED Implementation Guide - American Heart Association (PDF)
- AED Resources - American Heart Association (exiting CDE)
- School Medical Emergency Response Plan (DOC)
- Naloxone/ Drug Overdose
- View Disaster Planning Resources on our Health Services Page
- Delegation in Colorado (taking to Legal Information page)
- Guidance on Delegation for School Nurses (PDF)
- Nursing Procedure Sheets from Children's Hospital
- Seizure/ Epilepsy Emergency Meds
- Tube Feeding
- Ventilator/ Trachesotomy/ G-Tube/ Suctioning
- Training & Delegation Resources for School Nurses (2022 PDF)
- Common Chronic Conditions Training (PPT-PDF)
- Common Chronic Conditions Training Presentation Guide (PDF)
This course covers the use of standard precautions. It focuses on child care learning settings, but personnel working in school settings will also find this course relevant. It addresses standard precautions, the prevention and control of infectious diseases, and the role of immunizations for children and care providers.
- Upon completion of all online modules, user must print their completion certificate and have it signed by school nurse or Child Care Health Consultant to indicate that their site-specific exposure control plan was reviewed, unless they meet the exemptions from this rule.
- Course Access: Standard Precautions, Including Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases and Immunizations Course (Will need to create login for CoTrain system. Course ID# 1089426) (exiting CDE)
Asthma Training for Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP) - Applying Best Practice Asthma Care in Schools: A Standardized Statewide Approach
Free online 2-hour course for UAPs
The objectives of the course are:
- Encourage parents/guardians to complete the Asthma Intake form and communicate its completion to the school nurse.
- Implement the green (required pre-treatment), yellow and red zones of the Colorado Asthma Care Plan.
- Administer and coach for accurate technique for administration of a quick relief medication using a MDI plus spacer.
Enroll in UAP course HERE
Also see information about our Asthma Training for School Nurses on the Professional Development Page
- Allergy Certified Training - Colorado Module (formerly Allergy Safe Kids/ ASK - exiting CDE)
- Food Allergies: Keeping Students Safe and Included (FARE course for school staff) (Exiting CDE)
- Seizure Training for School Personnel - 75 min (Epilepsy Foundation)
- Seizure Training for School Nurses - 2.75 hours (Epilepsy Foundation)
- Seizure Medication Administration Procedures
- Children's Hospital Colorado: How to Give Midazolam Video (exiting CDE)
- Field Trip Guidelines (PDF)
- Emergency Medications on the School Bus (Nov 2015 PDF)
- NASN Position Statement on School Sponsored Trips, Role of the School Nurse (exiting CDE)
- CDE School Transportation Home Page
- National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services (exiting CDE)
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC)
- Making the Connection Between Health and Learning
- Components of Coordinated School Health Model
- Health Education
- Physical Education
- Health Services
- Nutrition Services
- Rocky Mountain Center for Health Promotion (RMC Health - exiting CDE)