You are here
School Nursing and Health - Training Tools
Rules & Guidelines
- Colorado Medication Administration Guidelines (August 2019 PDF)
- 2019 Rules for Administration of Medications (1 CRR 301-68) (pdf)
- SB033 - OTC Medication
Medication Administration Training of Unlicensed Administrative Personnel (UAP)
- The school nurse must register with Healthy Child Care Colorado to access medication administration course materials.
- UAP takes course either in person or online (at school nurse's discretion) and prints certificate.
- Online Course Access Information: Colorado Medication Administration Online Training for Schools (PDF)
- School nurse verifies competency of UAP to administer medication and School Nurse delegates the task of medication administration.
- National Association of School Nurses: Position Statements on Medication and Delegation (Exiting CDE)
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Policy Statement - Guidance for the Administration of Medication in School
- Delegation in Colorado
- Nursing Procedure Sheets from Children's Hospital: Seizure Meds & Tube Feeding
- Colorado Emergency Guidelines
- Colorado Emergency Guidelines for Schools (2016 PDF)
- CPR/ AED/ First Aid
- First Aid and CPR Clarification (CDPHE)
- CPR for Coaches (HB 14-2176)
- Colorado Good Samaritan Act for CPR and AED
- American Academy of Pediatrics Position Statement - AED (PDF)
- AED Implementation Guide (2016 - PDF) - American Heart Association (PDF)
- American Heart Association AED Resources
- School Medical Emergency Response Plan (MERP) (DOC)
- Common Chronic Conditions Training (PPT-PDF)
- Common Chronic Conditions Training Presentation Guide (PDF)
This course covers the use of standard precautions. It focuses on child care learning settings, but personnel working in school settings will also find this course relevant. It addresses standard precautions, the prevention and control of infectious diseases, and the role of immunizations for children and care providers.
- Upon completion of all online modules, user must print their completion certificate and have it signed by school nurse or Child Care Health Consultant to indicate that their site-specific exposure control plan was reviewed, unless they meet the exemptions from this rule.
- Course Access: Standard Precautions, Including Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases and Immunizations Course (Will need to create login for CoTrain system. Course ID# 1089426)
Applying Best Practice Asthma Care in Schools for Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP)
The objectives of the course are:
- Encourage parents/guardians to complete the Asthma Intake form and communicate its completion to the school nurse.
- Implement the green (required pre-treatment), yellow and red zones of the Colorado Asthma Care Plan.
- Administer and coach for accurate technique for administration of a quick relief medication using a MDI plus spacer.
Please have your district nurse email Anita Brodecky with the request to take this course. Include your first and last name and your email address.
- Seizure Training for School Personnel (Epilepsy Foundation)
- Field Trip Guidelines
- Emergency Medications on the School Bus (Nov 2015 PDF)
- NASN Position Statement on School Sponsored Trips, Role of the School Nurse
- CDE School Transportation Home Page
- National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC)
- Making the Connection Between Health and Learning
- Components of Coordinated School Health Model
- Health Education
- Physical Education
- Health Services
- Nutrition Services
- Rocky Mountain Center for Health Promotion