You are here
Gifted Education State Advisory Committee (GE-SAC)
Jump to a section:
In 1984, the Colorado State Board of Education (SBE) created the Gifted Education State Advisory Committee (GE-SAC) to advise the SBE concerning all aspects of gifted student education. The GE-SAC was further codified into law in 2014 and is referenced in the Colorado Revised Statutes [C.R.S. 22-20-203(3)].
The Gifted Education State Advisory Committee (GE-SAC):
- Provides information to the State Board of Education concerning ongoing and emergent needs and issues related to the education of gifted students in Colorado such as:
- Issues relevant to gifted student learning and growth
- GE-SAC response to timely topics which may impact gifted students or families of gifted students
- Results of studies or research of issues related to gifted student education
- Recommendations to the SBE for improvements and advocacy in gifted student education
- Maintains Standing Committees that facilitate efficient and effective work practices: Communication, Legislative and Membership
- Retains and advocates for a diverse SAC membership that represents stakeholders from the 7 Congressional Districts, representing parents, educators, business, and students so that voices from stakeholders from across the state are heard and equitably considered
- Fosters participation that provides perspective, voice, inquiry and thinking toward influencing positive action and knowledge for gifted student education
The SBE appoints members to the GE-SAC on an annual basis for a three-year term. The GE-SAC meets 4-5 times per year, typically from 9 am - 3 pm, at a metro location. Subcommittees of GE-SAC may hold additional meetings by web or face-to-face. Members are reimbursed for travel costs.
Congressional Districts include an educator, parent, and community representative. District vacancies are announced in the fall of each year. Interested stakeholders complete the application and submit it to the GE-SAC Membership Committee by the end of the year. Applications are reviewed, and selected applications are forwarded to the State Board of Education (SBE) in the spring for approval. Once appointed by the SBE, a 3 year term begins in June. Please check back in the fall of 2021 for district vacancies.
Colorado Congressional Districts
Congressional District Members
For more information, please contact a GE-SAC member from your congressional district.
2021 - 2022 Scheduled Meetings:
October 7, 2021
December 2, 2021
February 3, 2022
May 5, 2022
2020-2021 Quarterly Meetings
2019-2020 Quarterly Meetings
Note: If you are not able to access the resources or need additional support, please contact the Office of Gifted Education Program Administrator.