Office of Gifted Education Professional Development Goals
The Colorado Department of Education's Office of Gifted Education strives to achieve the following goals for all professional learning:
- Application: Educators use knowledge and skills from the professional learning to address the needs of gifted students in underrepresented populations.
- Student Outcomes: Educators are prepared to help students successfully attain academic and affective goals commensurate with their abilities.
- Cultural Competence: Promote educator cultural competence through the use of images, videos, language, anecdotes or informational data related to Colorado's demographics.
- Technology: Model the integration and utilization of appropriate, available technology in instruction to maximize student learning.
- Customer Service: Provide a variety of topics and formats based on the needs of educators across the state.
The following professional development opportunities have been created by gifted professionals across the state. To learn more about each option click on the title or other additional resource links.
Web-based Professional Development
Online Modules and Hybrids Course registration closes one week prior to start date and caps at 20 participants!
The Office of Gifted Education online modules are offered annually statewide.
Online Interactive Tutorials
GET: Gifted Education on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Tuesday, October 9 at 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
UIP and Gifted Education
This webinar will walk-through the accountability requirements for gifted education related to the Unified Improvement Plan. Beginning in 2018-2019, the UIP Addendum for gifted education will be eliminated. The district narratives related to gifted student performance will be embedded in the UIP online template. Presenters will describe: 1) how an AU might choose to manage the UIP/gifted education information; 2) the difference between convergence and divergent performance challenges; 3) the changes to the UIP online system for embedding gifted student performance targets and action plan; and 4) show screen shots of the changes. There will be a question period for in-person responses as time permits; and follow-up to other chat questions.
Please register for the webinar at: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/261accfb8c06aa8adc2040ba88984b7b
Professional Development Resources
Advanced Learning Plans (ALPs)
Resources to support implementation of standards-aligned ALPs
A listing of previous Directors' Meeting breakout sessions
Access guidance and resources on gifted identification.
Right 4 Rural Professional Development Presentation
Professional development is offered in regions across the state based on the needs of its Administrative Units (AUs). The Gifted Education Regional Consultants (GERC) work collaboratively with their regions to provide professional development and technical support that is relevant to their diverse needs and interests.
Professional Development by Regions (Coming soon)