Office of Gifted Education Professional Development Goals
The Colorado Department of Education's Office of Gifted Education strives to achieve the following goals for all professional learning:
- Application: Educators use knowledge and skills from the professional learning to address the needs of gifted students in underrepresented populations.
- Student Outcomes: Educators are prepared to help students successfully attain academic and affective goals commensurate with their abilities.
- Cultural Competence: Promote educator cultural competence through the use of images, videos, language, anecdotes or informational data related to Colorado's demographics.
- Technology: Model the integration and utilization of appropriate, available technology in instruction to maximize student learning.
- Customer Service: Provide a variety of topics and formats based on the needs of educators across the state.
The following professional development opportunities have been created by gifted professionals across the state. To learn more about each option click on the title or other additional resource links.
Web-based Professional Development
Online Modules and Hybrids Course registration closes one week prior to start date and caps at 20 participants!
The Office of Gifted Education online modules are offered annually statewide.
- Module Descriptions
- Schedule of ALL Online Modules (PDF) Course registration closes one week prior to start date and caps at 20 participants!
- Modules that Support Core Endorsement Standards
New! Depth & Complexity 2.0 This is the second iteration of Empowering Students to Think and Learn Using the Depth & Complexity Framework professional development project to be offered in the 2018-19 school year. (Contact Karen Kendig firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.)
New! Gifted and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse This course is designed to introduce educators to the unique characteristics and needs of gifted students from culturally and linguistically diverse populations. In addition, they will investigate teaching strategies used to develop talent, multiple pathways to gifted identification and best practices for increasing cultural competence within schools and systems. Check Schedule of Online Modules (PDF) to register.
See workshop flyers and register now!
Online Interactive Tutorials
GET: Gifted Education on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Thursday February 14 at 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Registration and topic to come
Professional Development Resources
Advanced Learning Plans (ALPs)
Resources to support implementation of standards-aligned ALPs
Directors' Meeting Breakout Sessions
A listing of previous Directors' Meeting breakout sessions
- Trujillo Keynote (PDF)
- The Gift, the Gap and the Ganas (PDF)
- Math: DCF Examples (PDF); Frame Examples (PDF)
Access guidance and resources on gifted identification.
Right 4 Rural Professional Development Presentation
- Colorado’s Underrepresented Populations in Gifted Education: A Professional Development Presentation for Facilitating Learning (PPT)
- Collection of Handouts for the Presentation (PDF)
Professional development is offered in regions across the state based on the needs of its Administrative Units (AUs). The Gifted Education Regional Consultants (GERC) work collaboratively with their regions to provide professional development and technical support that is relevant to their diverse needs and interests.
Professional Development by Regions (Coming soon)