Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for first-time applicants only, whether new to the profession or new to Colorado.
If you have ever held a teaching license in Colorado, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- Check to see if you meet Colorado Endorsement Requirements. Don't see your endorsement listed? Read our Out-of-State FAQ.
- You will need electronic copies of all requiested documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
$90.00 (for applicants who completed an in-state program)
$110.00 (for applicants who completed an out-of-state program)
3 years from date of issue (qualifying out-of-state applicants may receive a 5-year professional license)
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Within the application, you will be asked to list the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
- State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, including transcripts for any transfer credits that led to your degree earned. Official transcripts must show a minimum of a Bachelor's degree conferred. ( View Transcript Requirements )
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation and have been evaluated by a NACES member organization for course-by-course equivalency.
- Complete the Approved Program Verification Form.
( Download the Verification Form (PDF) )
- Out-of-state alternative applicants must also obtain an official signed letter from your State Department of Education confirming that you completed a state-approved program and the program requirements for the alternative program you completed.
- Obtain the results for any CDE-accepted PLACE or Praxis exams you have passed.
( View accepted PLACE content exams )
( View accepted Praxis content exams )
- Your employment history will help determine the type of Colorado license you will be issued. It is critical that you include the information below:
- If applicable, obtain copies of all active or expired teaching licenses covering the years of experience you have had as an educator.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years, and all teaching experience.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in.
Then, select the application titled "Teacher" to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.