The Educator Preparation Office oversees program approval and re-authorization for institutions of higher education. The process is carried out collaboratively by the Colorado Department of Higher Education and CDE and includes initial approval and re-authorization not more than once every five years. Initial approval and re-authorization are required for any institution offering educator preparation programs leading to endorsement in Colorado, including public and private entities.
Alternative teacher preparation programs offered via designated agencies must also meet standards defined in statute, rules and policy. The approval process is carried out solely by the Colorado Department of Education and includes initial authorization and re-authorization not more than once every five years.
Rules for the Administration of the Colorado Educator Licensing Act of 1991 (1 CCR 301-37) can be found here. Rules for the Administration of Educator License Endorsements (1 CCR 301-101) can be found here.
- Read about recent recent improvements in PRAXIS outcomes here.
- New English Learner and Teacher Quality Standards were approved by the State Board of Education in July 2018. All teacher preparation programs must have these new standards in place by 2020. Additional detailed information and resources are available in the news items below:
- Educator Preparation programs can now access the English Learner (EL) Educator Preparation Program matrix for aligning programs to the new standards that were approved by the State Board of Education in June of 2018. The matrix and additional timeline information can be found here.
- A webinar was held on June 26 regarding revisions to the Rules for Administration of the Colorado Educator Licensing Act of 1991 and Educator License Endorsements (1 CCR 303-37 and 1 CCR 301-101).
- Updated timelines for educator preparation program reauthorization reviews were recently announced. A detailed timeline can be accessed here.
- A webinar was held on March 28 regarding “Updates on Teacher Quality Standards for Educator Preparation Providers”. The Educator Preparation and Support Office provided updates around the proposed changes to the Teacher Quality Standards (TQS) and the impact it will have on approved institutes of higher education and designated agencies. We discussed the changes, timeline for implementation, and how preparations programs will be impacted. In addition we provided resources to help explain the proposed changes to the TQS.
Information about educator preparation programs in Colorado
Information about educator preparation pathways
- Learn more about becoming an educator in Colorado
- Search for an accredited educator preparation program
Information about alternative licensure pathways