The Educator Preparation Office oversees program approval and re-authorization for institutions of higher education. The process is carried out collaboratively by the Colorado Department of Higher Education and CDE and includes initial approval and re-authorization not more than once every five years. Initial approval and re-authorization are required for any institution offering educator preparation programs leading to endorsement in Colorado, including public and private entities.
Alternative teacher preparation programs offered via designated agencies must also meet standards defined in statute, rules and policy. The approval process is carried out solely by the Colorado Department of Education and includes initial authorization and re-authorization not more than once every five years.
Rules for the Administration of the Colorado Educator Licensing Act of 1991 (1 CCR 301-37) can be found here. Rules for the Administration of Educator License Endorsements (1 CCR 301-101) can be found here.
Teacher of Record License and Grant Program
HB18-1309 created the Teacher of Record License, Teacher of Record Program, and Grow Your Own Educator Program in response to the teacher shortage. When a district, BOCES, or charter is in need of a licensed teacher in a designated shortage area, and no qualified applicants have applied for the position, the teacher of record license and associated programs may be used to fill the position. This option allows an individual to serve as the teacher of record in a classroom while completing up to the remaining 36 credit hours of a teacher preparation program. The Grow Your Own Educator grant program provides funding to support the teacher’s tuition while they complete these remaining credit hours.
An informational webinar will be hosted on Tuesday, May 7 at 10:00 am. Interested stakeholders are invited to register to attend. The webinar will be recorded.
General information about the Teacher of Record License, Teacher of Record Program, and Grow Your Own Educator Program can be found on here.
Educator Preparation Program Reports
In August of 2019 there will be a release of public reports on Colorado educator preparation and the programs that prepare our new teachers. Critical information that impacts your educator preparation programs (both IHEs and DAs), including a preview of prototype sections of the reports, are featured in this recorded webinar.
New Student Teacher/In-Field Experience CDE Fingerprint Process Coming in March 2019
In March 2019, CDE will be launching a new fingerprint process for students completing field experience, student teaching and any other pre-service placement in a classroom. This new process will allow CDE to share criminal history information, if any exists, with the students’ educator preparation program and school district/charter school. Making this information available will allow educator preparation programs and school districts/charter schools to make informed decisions about placing students in the classroom. This will also allow students to be fingerprinted once for all their pre-service placements. More details on how to get fingerprinted and accessing reports will be communicated in early 2019.
- Read about recent recent improvements in PRAXIS outcomes here.
- New English Learner and Teacher Quality Standards were approved by the State Board of Education in July 2018. All teacher preparation programs must have these new standards in place by 2020. Additional detailed information and resources are available in the news items below:
- Educator Preparation programs can now access the English Learner (EL) Educator Preparation Program matrix for aligning programs to the new standards that were approved by the State Board of Education in June of 2018. The matrix and additional timeline information can be found here.
- A webinar was held on June 26 regarding revisions to the Rules for Administration of the Colorado Educator Licensing Act of 1991 and Educator License Endorsements (1 CCR 303-37 and 1 CCR 301-101).
- Updated timelines for educator preparation program reauthorization reviews were recently announced. A detailed timeline can be accessed here.
- A webinar was held on March 28 regarding “Updates on Teacher Quality Standards for Educator Preparation Providers”. The Educator Preparation and Support Office provided updates around the proposed changes to the Teacher Quality Standards (TQS) and the impact it will have on approved institutes of higher education and designated agencies. We discussed the changes, timeline for implementation, and how preparations programs will be impacted. In addition we provided resources to help explain the proposed changes to the TQS.
Information about educator preparation programs in Colorado
Information about educator preparation pathways
- Learn more about becoming an educator in Colorado
- Search for an accredited educator preparation program
Information about alternative licensure pathways