The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system has been postponed to spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
Career and Technical Education (CTE) Checklist for First-Time Applicants
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist only is for first-time CTE applicants only.
Not in the right place? Review the other checklists. Please note: An initial CTE is not renewable. Coursework requirements assigned at the time of issuance will need to be met in order to qualify for a professional license.
- You will need electronic copies of all requested documentation.
- Allow ample time to request any third-party transcripts or other documentation.
3 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Ensure you have a current background check on file. If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse, you must submit a new set of fingerprints to CBI for licensure purposes.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
- List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended, and include a copy of an official transcript for each. [Unofficial transcripts are never accepted; please do not include them in your application.]
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English (or include an authentic English translation) and be accompanied by a NACES member organization course-by-course equivalency report.
- Obtain copies of current or expired educator licenses/authorizations.
- Complete the appropriate CTE worksheet, which outlines all of the requirements necessary to obtain the CTE and endorsement area you are seeking.
- If applicable, include a state or federal registration, license, certificate or journeyman's card.
You will need to include all prior work experience:Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
- Complete the Verification of Teaching (SSP/ Principal/ Administrator / Special Education Director) Experience Form if applicable.
- Include verification of occupational experience, such as employer reference letters, military discharge papers, W-2 forms, Schedule C forms, etc.
- Complete the Occupational Experience Form
You are required to self-disclose and include documentation for the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a CTE application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you via email or automated text within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You will have 60 days from the date of notification to submit the information, request consideration or withdraw your application.
- CDE will not evaluate your application prior to receipt of your background checks.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications and updates or upon issuance, to print a copy of your certificate.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.