CDE will be closed on Monday, Jan. 20 for the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.
You are here
Career and Technical Education (CTE) Checklist for First-Time Applicants
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for first-time CTE applicants only. If you have ever held a CTE authorization in Colorado, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
Please note: An initial CTE is not renewable. Coursework requirements assigned at the time of issuance will need to be met in order to qualify for a professional license.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
3 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
- State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. This would include any transfer credits. ( View Transcript Requirements )
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an established credential evaluation service as selected by CDE for course equivalence. CDE currently only accepts evaluations completed by a NACES member.
- Obtain copies of current or expired educator licenses/authorizations.
- This is required for out-of-state applicants and strongly encouraged for in-state applicants.
- Complete the appropriate CTE credentials worksheet. These worksheets outline all of the requirements necessary to obtain the CTE and endorsement area you are seeking.
( Download the Worksheet )
- If applicable, obtain a State or Federal registration license, certificate, or journeyman's card.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years. (in some cases more).
- Include teaching experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
- Complete the Verification of Teaching (SSP/ Principal/ Administrator / Special Education Director) Experience Form if applicable.
- ( Download the Teaching Experience Form )
- Obtain verification of occupational experience, such as employer reference letters, military discharge papers, W-2 forms, Schedule C forms, etc.
- Complete the Occupational Experience Form
- ( Download the Occupational Experience Form )
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Career & Technical Education (CTE) application to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.