You are here
Parent, Family, & Student Communication and Engagement
Jump to a section:
Exceptional Children's Educational Act (ECEA) defines "Engagement" as:
"...the collaboration of families, schools, and communities as active partners in improving learner, classroom, school, district, and state outcomes.” [12.01(14)]
Communication is the key toward building a gifted program that engages the student and the family throughout the process of identification, development of programming services defined in an Advanced Learning Plan (ALP), progress monitoring student achievement and growth, and participation in systems of affective support.
Providing a variety of communication formats ensure equity and accessibility for all stakeholders.
The Administrative Unit’s (AU) Comprehensive Program Plan shall describe procedures and practices to promote parent, family, and student communication and engagement. (See ECEA requirements below)
12.02(2)(a)(i) The program plan shall describe how the AU implements parent, family, and student engagement and communication with regard to gifted education programs that include, but are not limited to:
- how parents are informed about access to identification procedures;
- ways to educate parents and families about giftedness or parenting gifted students;
- information about involvement and progress reporting;
- what programming options are available to match student strengths and challenges;
- information about concurrent enrollment;
- how to be involved in college and career planning; primary languages in the AU, and
- ways parents and families may participate in the school community.
12.02(2)(a)(ii) In multi-district AUs and BOCES, methods of engagement and communication may vary based upon individual district procedures, but each district must have a plan for parent, family, and student communication and engagement.
Communication and Engagement Guidance Document
Additional Communication and Engagement Resources
- Advanced Learning Plans (ALPs)
- Associations and Organizations for Gifted Students
- Data Privacy (PDF)
- Definition of Gifted and 2e Student
- Early Access for Highly Gifted Preschoolers
- Evaluation and Accountability of Gifted Programs
- Gifted Education Regional Consultant (GERC)
- Laws and Rules
- Parent's Corner
- Procedures for Disagreements
- Programming for Gifted Students
- Terms and Definitions
- Twice Exceptional Students
Note: If you are not able to access the resources or need additional support, please contact the Office of Gifted Education Program Administrator.