Welcome to the arts curriculum and instruction page. Here you will find resources for all arts content- dance, drama and theatre arts, music, and visual arts. The resources listed below have been developed through the Colorado Department of Education. Additional resources are available for your reference and/or use under the “additional curriculum support resources” link and are not specifically endorsed by the Colorado Department of Education.
This page contains supports designed to assist in the development of standards based curriculum resources for arts education. Supportive resources are separated in three section:
- Colorado's District Sample Curriculum Project
- Arts Integration and Title Programming Resources
- Curriculum Design Tools available from our Standards Implementation Toolkit
This fall, over 500 Colorado educators, representing 61 school districts, participated in curriculum design workshops that resulted in the creation of 670 curriculum samples based on the Colorado Academic Standards (CAS). Utilizing a Colorado-designed and refined template, the samples provide organizing structures for addressing the grade-level expectations (GLEs), evidence outcomes (EOs) and 21st Century Skills that build students' mastery of the standards at each grade level. As voluntary resources for districts, the samples:
- Represent the translation of the CAS into unit overviews for all (10) content areas, grades k-12
- Illuminate possibilities for sequencing grade-level and content-specific standards across courses/years
- Offer one possible foundation for exploring standards-based unit and lesson-plan development
With the current educational focus on 21st century skills and Postsecondary and Workforce Readiness, it is imperative to identify key benefits and constraints of arts integration models within Title I programming. The following documents provide information related to the Arizona case study for Title and Arts programming, share the benefits of arts education, identify the alignment between arts programming and Title requirements and review downloadable resources available for arts integration planning within Title I schools.
2010 Title I and Arts Education Resources
In addition to the Colorado resources above developed in 2010, please consider the following valuable documents:
- The California Alliance for Arts Educations has recently (2013) released a comprehensive guidebook outlining strong practices for using arts education to meet Title 1 Goals.
- U.S Department of Education to State Title I Coordinators letter outlining the parameters for using arts education in meeting Title I goals
For website assistance in the Arts, please contact Karol Gates.