You are here
Visual Impairment: Guidelines and Support Documents
- Educating Blind and Visually Impaired Students: Policy Guidance by the US DOE
- Guidelines for Caseload Formula for Teachers Certified in the Area of Visual Impairment (PDF)
**This document is under revision. Take caution to complete with full IEP discussion of the educational needs of any student with visual impairment with blindness, including learners who are deaf-blind and/or with multiple disabilities.**
- Guidelines for School Vision Screen Programs: Kindergarten through Grade 12 (PDF) (manual and supporting protocol)
- OSEP Policy Guidance on Braille Instruction, June 19, 2013 (PDF)
- Vision Screening Guidelines for Children Ages Birth through Five Years (manual and supporting protocol and handouts)
Eye Examination Form
All school-age children who are determined to be eligible with a Visual Impairment, Including Blindness will need to have an eye examination. This information does not confirm a child’s eligibility status for special education services and supports. It provides information about the learner’s visual diagnosis/diagnoses, clinical functioning, prognosis, and possible medical treatments for the eye condition(s). An example template has been created for administrative units to use and/or adapt to secure information about the eye examination.
Colorado Braille Competency Test Documents
- Colorado Braille Competency Testing Guidelines (PDF)
- Colorado Braille Competency (UEB) Test Information (PDF)
- Colorado Braille Mastery Test Accommodation Procedures (PDF)
- Colorado Braille Competency Renewal Testing Guidelines (PDF)
- CDE-Funded Braille Mentors (PDF)
- Memo on UEB Braille Competency, Including Information about Braille Refresher Course (PDF)
- The ABCs of UEB by Constance Risjord
- The Rules of UEB, edited by Christine Simpson
- UEB Branded Modules (November 2014) (PDF)
- Guidelines for Technical Material (August 2014) (PDF)
- Technical Update for Colorado (January 2015) (PDF)
- BANA Statement - Implementation of UEB (November 2014) (PDF)
- BANA Statement - Provision Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code Within UEB Contexts (November 2014) (PDF)
- Duxbury UEB Chart Form
- UEB "Cheat Sheet"
- UEB Cheat Sheet 2 (PDF)
- Transcriber's UEB Online Course (Canadian National Institute for the Blind)
- National Library Service (NLS) Braille Transcribing Course
- RIDBC Renwick Centre online training course in Unified English Braille (UEB), entitled "UEB Online for Sighted Learners"
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to UEB Literary
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to UEB Mathematics
- Unified English Braille for Math for Sighted Learners
Colorado Braille Competency Practice Test Documents
The Colorado Braille Competency Practice Test Documents are only for approved candidates for the Colorado Braille Competency Test. Approved candidates include licensed teachers of students with visual impairments or braillists employed in a Colorado public school district. If a copy of the Practice Test documents is needed in braille format, please email Tanni Anthony or call her at (303) 866-6681.
- Colorado Braille Practice Test - Example Multiple Choice Questions (PDF)
- Colorado Braille Practice Test - Answers to Example Multiple Choice Questions (PDF)
- Colorado Braille Practice Test - Sample 01 Seven (PDF)
- Colorado Braille Practice Test - Sample 02 Ten (PDF)
Literacy Fact Sheets for the Learner who is Blind/Visually Impaired
These information sheets were developed for individual team members who work together to draft Individual Education Program literacy goals and objectives for school-age 03 - 21 years) learners with visual impairment, including children with additional disabilities.
- Literacy Role of the TVI (PDF)
- Literacy Role of the Classroom Teacher and Reading Specialist (PDF)
- Literacy Role of the Classroom Teacher and School Psychologist (PDF)
- Literacy Role of the Speech Language Pathologist/Teacher of DHH (PDF)
- Literacy Role of the Occupational Therapist (PDF)
- Literacy Role of the Physical Therapist (PDF)
- Natural Environments Monograph (PDF)
For more information on Guidelines and Support Documents for Visual Impairment including Blindness, please contact:
Tanni Anthony, Blindness/Visual Impairment Specialist
Email Tanni Anthony
Having trouble with this webpage?
If you have problems with broken links or accessing the content on this page, please contact the Exceptional Student Services Unit at ESSU@cde.state.co.us. Please copy the URL link for this page into the email when referencing the problem you are experiencing.