VIBRATIONS Topical Newsletters
The newsletter VIBRATIONS is no longer published. Previous newsletters have been converted to topical newsletters and are free to all interested persons.
A lending library is maintained with up-to-date books, articles, workshop materials, videotapes, and manuals related to the topic of vision and hearing loss. A current directory is available upon request, and lending library materials are mailed out upon request. For a copy of the Lending Library Inventory; or the Lending Library Request Form.
Learning Media and Communication Learning Plan for Students with Combined Vision and Hearing Loss
All school age (3-21 years) children and youth with visual impairment in the State of Colorado must have a Literacy Modality Plan on file as a part of their Individual Education Program. This plan highlights the results of a Literacy Modality Assessment by a teacher certified in the area of visual impairment.
Specific information recorded on the Literacy Modality Plan includes:
- identification and justification of primary and secondary literacy modes,
- information about how the literacy modes will be implemented and integrated into the student’s educational activities,
- the level of competency expected in each selected mode(s) that the student will achieve by the end of the period covered by the Individual Education Plan, and
- the braille competency status of the person delivering braille instruction, if braille is a selected literacy mode.
All school age (3-21 years) children and youth who are deaf/hard of hearing in the State of Colorado must have a Communication Plan on file as a part of their Individual Education Program.
This plan must include information on:
- the child’s primary communication mode(s),
- the availability of deaf/hard of hearing adult role models and peer groups of the student’s communication mode or language,
- an explanation of all educational options provided by the administrative unit and available to the student,
- the proficiency status of teachers, interpreters, and other specialists delivering the communication plan in the student’s primary communication mode or language
- the communication –accessible academic instruction, school services, and extracurricular activities that the child will receive.
A form that addresses the documentation needs of both the Literacy Modality Plan and the Communication Plan has been created for use on behalf of school-age children and youth with both vision and hearing loss.
- Literacy and Communication Learning Plan for Students with Combined Vision and Hearing Loss form (PDF)
- Literacy and Communication Learning Plan for Students with Combined Vision and Hearing Loss form (Word)
Colorado Resources for Families of Children who are Deafblind
- Hands and Voices (Colorado Office)
- Helen Keller National Center - Rocky Mountain Office
- Peak Parent Center
National and International Resources Specific to Deafblindness:
- A-Z to Deafblindness
- American Association of the Deaf-Blind (AADB)
- Deafblind International
- Hands and Voices
- Helen Keller National Center for Deafblind Youth and Adults (HKNC)
- National Consortium on Deafblindness (NCDB)
- National Family Association for the Deafblind (NFADB)
National Resources Specific to Children with Disabilities
- NIHCY - National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities
- NORD - National Organization of Rare Disorders
Other State Projects on Deafblindness
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
Phone: (303) 866-6681
Phone: (303) 866-6605