Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for first-time applicants only. If you have ever held a special services provider license in Colorado, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
3 years from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Confirm that you have met all SSP requirements
( View SSP Licensure Requirements )
- List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
- State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. This would include any transfer credits that led to your degree earned. Official transcripts must show a minimum of a Bachelor's degree conferred. ( View Transcript Requirements )
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an established credential evaluation service as selected by CDE for course equivalence. CDE currently only accepts evaluations completed by a NACES member.
- Complete the Approved Program Verification Form documenting that you have successfully completed a state-approved special service provider preparation program.
( Download the Verification Form (PDF) )
- Please note*: For out-of-state applicants seeking a School Social Worker endorsement, coursework in school law, special education law, functional behavioral assessment, and behavior intervention plans is required. If you have not completed this coursework, please view this information.
- Obtain proof you have completed and passed an accepted PLACE, Praxis, or other related exam if required for your professional area.
( View accepted PLACE content exams )
( View accepted Praxis content exams )
- Your employment history will help determine the type of Colorado license you will be issued. It is critical that you include the information below:
- If applicable, obtain all copies of active or expired special service provider licenses covering the years of experience you have had as an educator.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- Include special service provider experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in.
Then, select the application titled "Special Services Provider" to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.