"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically… Intelligence plus character–that is the goal of true education." ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
"Social studies is the integrated study of the social sciences and humanities to promote civic competence. Today’s social studies provides students with the knowledge, critical thinking skills and experiences that will allow them to grow into effective citizens.” ~ NCSS
This site provides a hub of Social Studies information and resources to support the academic achievement of all students in Colorado.
Content support through the Colorado Department of Education will address essential elements of a comprehensive district plan to offer standards based teaching and learning. Our intent is to:
- provide tools and supports,
- deliver clear, timely communication,
- enhance collaboration between and among all stakeholders,
- identify research-based approaches to curriculum development and teaching and learning,
- promote professional development opportunities, and
- align and integrate elements of CDE's Strategic Initiatives where appropriate.
We aim to to provide tool for the empowerment of all stakeholders to actively participate in the process of implementing the Colorado Academic and English Language Proficiency Standards and transforming teaching and learning throughout the State of Colorado. This two-page document provides brief descriptions of the history, substance, and instructional shifts of the Colorado Academic Standards and their focus on all students, all standards.
For website assistance in Social Studies, please contact Stephanie Hartman.