You are here
READ Budget Submissions
2021-22 Budget Submissions
Prior to receiving a distribution of READ funds, all Local Education Providers (LEPs) are required to submit a budget of their planned use of READ per-pupil intervention funds for the upcoming school year. All budgets must be submitted by June 30, 2021.
2020-2021 Budget Revisions
All Local Education Providers (LEPs) are required to revise 2020-21 READ budgets to match actual allocation amounts. 2020-21 Revisions must be finalized before submitting 2021-22 budgets.
2020-2021 Budget Revision & 2021-2022 Budget Submission Timeline
2020-2021 READ budget revision window open
November 30, 2020 - March 1, 2021
2021-2022 READ budget submission window open
April 1, 2021 - June 30, 2021
Updates to Statutory Requirements
In addition to reporting a budget and budget narrative annually:
- The allowable uses of per-pupil intervention money expands to include purchasing CDE approved core reading instructional programs and purchasing technology, including software, to assist in assessing and monitoring student progress.
- CDE is required to monitor and, if necessary, audit district use of the per-pupil intervention funds throughout the budget year.
- The amount of per-pupil intervention money a district may retain from year to year cannot exceed 15 percent.
- Some of the READ intervention funds are redirected to the external program evaluation, state provided teacher training, public information campaign, and early literacy grant program, thereby reducing the per-pupil distribution to districts.
Allowable Uses of Per-Pupil Intervention Funds
- Operate a summer school literacy program
- Purchase core reading instructional programs that are included on the READ Act advisory list of instructional programming
- Purchase and/or provide approve targeted, evidence-based or scientifically based intervention services to students which may include services provided by a reading interventionist
- Purchase tutoring services focused in increasing students’ foundational reading skills
- Provide technology, including software that is on the advisory list of instructional programming; may include professional development for use of technology
- Purchase from a BOCES the services of a reading specialist or reading interventionist
- Provide professional development programming to support K-3 educators in teaching reading
Literacy Business Analyst