Computer Science Teaching Pathways
Teachers need 24 credits of computer science education for an endorsement in Instructional Technology (K-12) addressing the following topics.
- Data structures, languages, and databases
- Web-based programming and design
- Knowledge of operating systems
- System design, implementation, and management
- Media and software applications
- Robotics, file management, instructional design, and other computer applications (i.e. cybersecurity)
Computer science professionals who would like to become teachers can apply for alternative teaching licensure.
Professional Development Questions
Districts may wish to work collaboratively to provide computer science professional development by region. For information regarding professional development possibilities or instructional support, please contact
Christine Liebe, PhD Cand.
Computer Science Content Specialist
The following institutions and organizations offer courses or programs in computer science, programming, instructional technology, CS pedagogy, cyber-security, and more.
Colorado Universities and Colleges
*Colorado School of Mines is offering high quality 3-day to 5-day computer science teacher education courses, plus several 3 credit computer science courses. (ECS, CSUnplugged, BJC, Python, Bootstrap, AP Institute, Mobile CSP, Beyond Theory - Proven Practices in EdTech, and more!). Mines offers courses for teachers who are new to CS, experienced CS teachers, and teachers who are tech professionals but could use some pedagogical information.
Colorado Non-Profit Computer Science Education Organizations
- STEMPath a graduate level STEM and Computer Science teacher certifcation program, a collaboration of Couragion, mindSpark Learning and Metro State University in Denver.
- mindSpark Learning provides the following computer science curriculum and professional learning offerings: custom computer science professional learning packages for elementary, middle and high schools, in school computer science professional learning, district level professional learning, a Technology Institute and a STEM Institute. They are also the Code.org Colorado Regional Partner
- TEALS, Teaching Education and Literacy in Schools, provides computer science professional volunteers with computer science teachers. TEALS offers curriculum modules and labs for experienced CS teachers and actually co-teaches CS courses with new CS teachers.
National Computer Science Teacher Training Programs
- Beauty and Joy of Computing
- Exploring Computer Science
- We Teach CS / University of Texas at Austin
- Launch CS
- NICERC - National Cyber Innovation Center - 12 credit cyber education program
- The College Board -AP Computer Science
- National Security Agency summer camps for educators
- Infosys Foundation USA will host the Pathfinders Summer Institute 2018, a national convening for K-12 teacher education in Computer Science and Making.
- #InfyPathfinders will be an intensive week of professional development to be held at Indiana University Bloomington(IUB) from July 15-20, 2018. Over 800 teachers from across the United States will convene on the IUB campus for high-quality, hands-on training for K-12 grade level Computer Science (CS) and Maker education.
- Interested teachers and school administrators can find out more and register their interest at: infy.com/Pathfinders
- Relay Graduate School of Education / Computer Science Institute
Masters in Computer Science Education
- Carnegie Mellon University
- The College of St. Scholastica
- Stanford University
- University of Omaha
- University of Albany, State of New York
- University of Cincinnati
Private Computer Science Programs in Colorado
Private Computer Science Programs
- Oracle Academy
- Cisco Networking Academy
- Computer Science Education Week compendium of CS Curricula and associated professional development by grade
Online Computer Science Courses
If your organization would like to be added to this list, please contact Christine Liebe, firstname.lastname@example.org