CDE will be closed on Monday, May 29 for the Memorial Day holiday.
You are here
Healthy Schools Grant
About CDC Healthy Schools Grant
The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) has been working in partnership with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) and other statewide partners to reduce chronic disease risk factors and improve student health by addressing healthy eating/nutrition, physical activity and chronic disease management for children and youth. Colorado local education agencies (LEAs), including six priority LEAs have been receiving quality professional development (PD) and technical assistance (TA) to support their school health efforts to prevent obesity and reduce the risk of children and adolescents developing chronic disease in adulthood and manage chronic health conditions prevalent in student populations including poor health, asthma, food allergies, seizure disorders, diabetes, mental health and other diseases and disabilities or conditions.
Fact Sheet: CDC 1801 Healthy Schools Grant (PDF)
Current CDC Healthy Schools 5-Year Grantees (2018-2023)
Funded through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, School Health Branch, Improving Student Health and Academic Achievement through Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Management of Chronic Conditions in Schools (CDC-RFA-DP18-1801) Grant.
This is a five year grant (2018-2023) supporting these districts:
- Lake County School District
- Englewood Schools
- Valley RE-1
- Platte Valley RE-7
- Sheridan School District
- Weld County RE-1
Important Dates for Healthy Schools 5-Year Grantees
Upcoming Due Dates:
- June 30, 2023 - Final year end narrative progress report and success story due - Links to submit to CDE will be emailed
- By the 15th of Each Month - Grant recipients use the competitive grant Request for Funds Form to request these federally reimbursable funds (Federal Grant Code 7981).
- Spending must be completed by June 29, 2023
- Final requests for reimbursement due no later than July 31, 2023
- September 30, 2023 - Annual Financial Report due via Smartsheet. A detailed General Ledger is required with expenditures from July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023. A grant close out submission will also be required.
- Full list of due dates for grantees: Table of Deliverables
Wellness Coordinator Office Hours (View full schedule with dates | PDF)
Monthly Tuesdays 3:30 - 4:30 & Monthly Thursdays 12:00 - 1:00
Colorado Healthy Schools Collaborative Meetings
Colorado Healthy Schools Collaborative meetings include networking, updates, and learning opportunities for those interested in Healthy Schools. Everyone is welcome to attend these quarterly meetings!
- April 26, 2023, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm, in person or online (hybrid), Red Rocks Community College (13300 W 6th Ave, Lakewood), Register Here by April 12th
For more information, contact Michelle Malvey email@example.com
COMTSS Online Academy and Trainings
The COMTSS Online Academy provides participants with on-demand training across multiple topics related to COMTSS in Colorado including social-emotional learning.
Distinguished Speaker Series (exiting CDE)
With the day-to-day stressors of managing Covid receding, new (and not-so-new) pressures on K-12 education are swirling. The Colorado Department of Education is proud to sponsor the 3rd Annual Distinguished Speakers Series – and bring you some of the nation’s leading education voices who will address the state’s most critical and important issues. Join us this Fall & Spring for an amazing virtual line up of some of the country’s leading voices on what students and educators need NOW to help our schools succeed.
- February 21, 2023 3:30 - 4:30 - Ruthless Equity
- February 28, 2023 3:30 - 4:30 Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: What Matters Most & What Matters NOW!
- March 7, 2023 3:30 - 4:30 Taking Action : How to Systemically Close Learning Gaps & Ensure High Levels of Learning for All Students
Colorado Department of Education Professional Development Page
Comprehensive search tool for Colorado Department of Education-hosted professional development opportunities.
Wellness Coordinator Resources
Colorado Healthy Schools Collaborative (CHSC) - The Hub (exiting CDE)
Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Model
CDC Virtual Healthy School (exiting CDE)
Sample Resources developed by our funded districts:
- Staff Wellness BINGO - provided by Platte Valley RE-7
Previously Funded Districts
Archuleta School District
Center Consolidated Schools
CSI - New America School
Harrison School District #2
Hayden School District
Lake County School District
Poudre School District
Silverton School District
Weld County School District 6
El Paso County School District 49
Jefferson County Public Schools
St. Vrain Valley School District
STRIVE Preparatory Schools
Contact the Program Team
For Grant Program Questions:
CDC Healthy Schools Coordinator
Malvey_m@cde.state.co.us | P 720-390-2664
School Nurse Specialist
Brodecky_a@cde.state.co.us | P 303-565-6286
For Budget/ Fiscal Questions:
Grants Fiscal Analyst
Connect With Us