You are here
Grants and Initiatives
CDE Funded Grants and Initiatives
- The Colorado Coalition for Healthy Schools supports statewide infrastructure and systems to promote healthy schools through policy, surveillance and partnerships. The Coalition is managed through an interagency partnership between the Colorado Department of Education and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Coalition promotes the Coordinated School Health model with schools and districts to identify and address their priority school health issues.
- The Colorado Comprehensive Health Education Act of 1990 encourages every school district to provide a preK-12th grade planned, sequential health education program based on science. The state administers an annual competitive grant program, dependent on the availability of state funds, to support school districts in developing and implementing a standards-based comprehensive health education curriculum. Request for proposals are announced in the spring for funding in the following school year.
- In 2008, the State legislature passed HB 1224, providing state money from Amendment 23 to be used for Student Wellness Programs to address childhood obesity and wellness policies. These programs use the Coordinated School Health model to address these priorities through
- Physical education
- Nutrition services
- Mental health counseling and services
- Promotion of a healthy school environment
- Health education
- Health services
- Involvement of students' families and communities in supporting and reinforcing healthy choices
Community Partners' Grants and Initiatives
- Colorado Health Foundation offers grants to support physical education and activity, health and nutrition services in schools.
- Colorado Education Initiative offers innovation grants for physical activity, health education and services, staff wellness, bully prevention, and nutrition.
- Healthy Schools Colorado is a competitive grant program that enhances CDE's Student Wellness Program.
Contact the Comprehensive Health and Physical Education Principal Consultant for more assistance, Jamie Hurley
Connect With Us