As a way to support requirements of the Arts Education for Workforce Development Act (House Bill 10-1273) that was passed by the Colorado General Assembly in 2010, an Arts Education Implementation Task Force convened to support efforts to prepare students for a creative and competitive 21st century workforce.
Thanks to funding and contributions by many sponsors, contributors and the CDE Dropout Prevention and Student Engagement Unit, an Arts Guidebook was created in an effort to connect educational needs with visual and performing arts activities in communities across the state.
This guidebook had its origins in a desire to provide Colorado schools and districts with research-based information and ideas on ways to improve or expand their arts education programs. As the economic needs of the state have evolved, so has the urgency to provide our students with an education that will best prepare them for the workforce of tomorrow, one that will require the learning and innovation skills that are taught most effectively through the arts: invention, creativity and innovation, critical thinking and reasoning, self-direction, communication, and collaboration.
The task force recognizes that all students in Colorado should have access to quality arts instruction during their learning process in school. This guide is intended to help schools, districts, parents, community members and most importantly, the students, gain equal access to the arts. Whether you live in an urban setting or a rural setting, arts education is vital to developing the next generation of American innovators.
Arts Guide Book Tutorial:
- Full Document Walk Through (12m 20 sec)
- Focus Area I Embracing Arts Content and Rigorous Instruction (4min 54 seconds)
- Focus Area II- Structuring for Effective Implementation (5 min 4 seconds)
- Focus Area III-Ensuring Success and Sustainability (4 min 43 sec)
- Program Self Assessment (4 minutes 43 seconds)
This guidebook is available in two formats:
* Please note: for text readers and non-flash mobile devices, use the "download" selection on the left navigation bar for a readable version of this document.*
For website assistance in the Arts, please contact Karol Gates.