The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system has been postponed to spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
Temporary Educator Eligibility
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This authorization is appropriate for the special education generalist endorsement (traditional programs only) and special education director endorsement, as well as for all special services provider endorsements (except school counselor, orientation and mobility specialist and speech-language pathology assistant).
** Note: A bachelor's or higher degree is required for all special education endorsements; special services providers must have earned the level of degree required for their area of service. **
Individuals seeking all other teacher, principal, administrator (superintendent), school counselor or speech-language pathology assistant endorsements should complete an Emergency Authorization application.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
This authorization is issued for one calendar year and may be renewed up to twice, with demonstrated evidence of progress toward fulfilling the requirements of the full license.
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since we received your background checks, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Complete section A of the TEE Verification Form.
- Forward the form to your college or university designee for verification that you are enrolled in a program and making continued satisfactory progress toward the completion of your special education endorsement program.
- Then forward the form to the superintendent, chief human resources officer, appointed head of the administrator unit (such as the director of special education for your district), BOCES, facility, school or state-operated program to complete the remaining section.
- Obtain the completed and signed form so you may include it in your online application.
- Obtain official degree-conferred transcripts.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names and contact information.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a TEMPORARY EDUCATOR ELIGIBILITY application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you via email or automated text within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You will have 60 days from the date of notification to submit the information, request consideration or withdraw your application.
- CDE will not evaluate your application prior to receipt of your background checks.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications and updates or upon issuance, to print a copy of your certificate.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.