The eLicensing system is back online. The launch of the new and improved system is scheduled for spring 2021. Learn more.
You are here
Adding a Career and Technical Education (CTE) Endorsement
Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for those applicants who already hold a CTE authorization and are seeking to add another CTE endorsement. If you have never held a CTE authorization in Colorado, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
3 or 5 years from date of issue depending on type of CTE held
- In most cases, additional fingerprinting is not required for this type of application.
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- List the names and addresses of the colleges/universities you've attended.
- State statute requires that you submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. This would include any transfer credits that led to your degree earned. If required for the endorsement you are seeking, your official transcripts must show a minimum of a Bachelor's degree conferred. ( View Transcript Requirements )
- Transcripts from institutions outside the US must be in English or include an authentic English translation, and have been evaluated by an established credential evaluation service as selected by CDE for course equivalence. CDE currently only accepts evaluations completed by a NACES member.
- Obtain copies of current or expired educator licenses/authorizations.
- This is required for out-of-state applicants and strongly encouraged for in-state applicants.
- Complete the appropriate CTE endorsement worksheet. These worksheets outline all of the requirements necessary to obtain the CTE and endorsement area you are seeking.
( View Worksheets )
- If applicable, obtain a State or Federal registration license, certificate, or journeyman's card.
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include teaching experience from more than 5 years ago, if you have it.
- Complete the Verification of Teaching (SSP/ Principal/ Administrator / Special Education Director) Experience Form if applicable.
- ( Download the Teaching Experience Form )
- Obtain verification of occupational experience, such as employer reference letters, military discharge papers, W-2 forms, Schedule C forms, etc.
- Complete the Occupational Experience Form
- ( Download the Occupational Experience Form )
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Once you have gathered all required documentation and have reviewed the rules governing the licensure process, you are ready to complete and submit a CTE application.
- An application is deemed complete when CDE has received all required information, documentation and fees.
- By submitting an application, you are verifying that the application is complete and that all questions within have been answered truthfully.
- CDE will contact you via email or automated text within 45 days of receipt of your application should additional information be required to complete and evaluate your application. You will have 60 days from the date of notification to submit the information, request consideration or withdraw your application.
- CDE will not evaluate your application prior to receipt of your background checks.
- State statute prohibits the refunding of any application evaluation fee.
- Once you have submitted an application, check your status online regularly for notifications and updates or upon issuance, to print a copy of your certificate.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.